Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Flashback

Let's hope April brings some Spring weather! Today is gray, drizzly, with a northeast wind typical of the Outer Banks in winter, although not a bitter wind, still chilly!

I'm looking for a "name" to call the time I meet with guests after each gathering. It's just a 5-10 minute chat where I thank them for attending and ask for feedback. If you've got an idea, let me know.

Today I returned to the series "Gear Up" and we looked at the protection truth and righteousness provide us. Truth is our preparation. Righteousness covers our minds and emotions. Andy should have it up on our podcast later this week. I didn't feel like it flowed well, but then several approached me telling me that it rang their bell loud and clear. Paul's words in 1 Corinthians about "the foolishness of preaching" is right on.

I showed the 14th round from the original Rocky film as reminder that we're to stand if we're going to fight. That's where he gets knocked down and Mickey urges him to "Stay down, Rock". Yet he finds the will and strength to pull himself back up and continue the round, pummeling Creed. It gets me pumped! How about you?

The MP 13 Band led us in these songs. (Perhaps Nate can check in and comment on the composers if you want to find them). They all worked well with the theme of the messages.

Love The Lord - Good start up song! Right from Jesus' words.
May The Words Of My Mouth - A prayer to be a real Christ-follower.
Lifesong - makes you really think about what you're doing with your life.
All To You - Buddy's guitar solo with Andy's percussion had a Santanaesque flavor to it. (Can a pastor say that?) Good job!
Hosanna - One of our newer songs. I love it.

We missed Thanisha today, but she's busy being mommy to her spankin' new baby boy, born Thursday night.

I missed seeing Don and Frank Kirschner today. But Don's at Duke for a long awaited visit to see our grandaughter and Tricia, Agnes and Nate.

It's always a fun day when folks who have been attending come up and ask what they have to do to become partners in the fellowship!

Lunch after church today in the lobby! Our 20somethings met for fellowship and we also had a couple of new partner applicants to interview. Good food!! (Special thanks to Cindy and Barbara.) That stuff Dave made - some spinach deal - was killer.

Andy was right. Those who slept the extra couple hours and came to worship at 11 sure had more energy!

Saw a young lady who used to come regularly when she was a girl. She was back today after some hard years later. It was good to see her. I know Marilyn D. was ecstatic.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, it's me Scott Hale. I have wondered what has happened to you and Gail for years and years. I first want to say thank you SO much for your leadership and what you taught me even though it was (yikes) 30 years ago. I still remember and cherish specific events that happened in my first years as a christian. ie. you kicking me, Bill Dickson and Scott Finley out of the high school worship service for clowning around..we deserved it. BUT the most important was our ski trip to Geneva Basin, Co. That trip was one of the most important events in my life. I have never forgot what it was like to be given my last rights by a priest on the roof top of a hospital listening to a helicopters blades cut through the air. I will never forget Gail, how she stayed by my side at the hospital. I have always wanted to tell you and your bride how much that means to me still to this day. Rick, the short time that our Lord allowed me to be a part of your flock has had a monumental impact. I sit here with tears in my eyes. I dont know what to say except that, I wish you could feel the sincerety in my heart. Anyway, my life in nutshell. I went to a bible college in Minnesota, for one year, they ask me not to come back. "We are not ready for someone with as much spunk and fire as you have to offer". Now, I never did anything wrong, I was just teaching those poor northerners how to have some fun. I ended up in California in 1984 met my beautiful wife, married in 1986 May 17th. I worked for an engineering company for years on the structural steel side. I was sent all over the country and instead of ending up in Thailand for years, I chose Arizona. We have been here for 7 years. We have a son 6'4" weighing in at 360lbs and 2 absolutely wonderful daughters. They are stair stepped in age. This year they will be 18, 17, 16. Bub (we call him that for obvious reasons) Will be a senior in high school next year attending Phoenix Christian. Already I have recieved letters from 2 Ivy league schools one in New Haven, CT and one in PENN. Arizona State, and even I got word from Norman OK that they will be looking at him in the next week or so...WOW... we still have one year to go. I praise God for bubs ability and for my Prevost that was promised once the NFL came around. I know this may be dragging but God has something special in mind for me. Since the ski trip I have had my nose rebuilt 2x's, you might remember, when I ran into John Allen's behind playing football, 4 broken ankles now with pins in both, I fell 30 feet grabbed a small pipe on the way down and that one cost me part of both collar bones, which I don't have any more, broken jaw, ran over by a jet ski, that's a story all by itself, soaked in Oleum (a corrosive acid), elbow fracture, busted hand and broken back that one they gave me 6 rods and I call it tiny scaffolding. I say all this to tell you that God is good. I'm not sure what I have learn from all that but I have my own structural steel and welding inspection company. The biggest feather in my cap is my guys and myself did the steel and welding inspection on a newly completed state of the art retractable roof football stadium. I say this over and over God has provided and will provide for those that love Him. THANK YOU for introducing me to Jesus' love. I will be your friend forever. I haven't seen nor talk to you for dang near 30 years and what you showed me then is as strong today and you know what..I love you and I miss you.
your friend
Scott Hale

Andy Lawrenson said...

From where I sit behind the percussion instruments it is always interesting to watch people worship.
The cool part is you can see God working and drawing people closer to him. I'm also enjoying the fact that we can start a song sitting down and then people start popping up to stand and sing without prompting from the band.

CJolly said...

I'll second that Andy, from the other back seat.
Rick, the current series is excellent, and is very important to staying strong in our faith while living in this world. It flowed just fine today! Keep on keepin' on!
We're praying for Tricia and the lungs!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Wow Scott.
You got me crying!

If you go to our church's site (linked on the blog page) you can get my email address. Drop me a line. I'd love to stay connected.

It's super great to hear from you after all these years and realize you haven't killed yourself doing something stupid yet. We always wondered.

BTW, can Bubs burp like Pop?

C said...

We call it visitor's reception

terri c said...

I *love* "Lifesong!!!" I'm of a generation that is more easily moved by Bach than by praise and worship, but I do love that song.