Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Reverend and the man who would be President



  • Choose your church affiliation carefully. What your church believes says a lot about you, whether you accept it all or not. And if you can't accept what your church believes why are you there?

  • A church's pulpit is the rudder of the ship. Especially if the occupant is charismatic and/or eloquent. What's proclaimed there has more effect on the direction the church takes than any other single factor. Which means...

  • Listen carefully to what a pastor says and doesn't say. Out of the heart, Jesus said, our mouths speak. Maybe more importantly, observe closely how he lives. And do all this BEFORE making the choice to align with a church.


  • Do your homework before you sign on the dotted line. Ask to see the church's beliefs spelled out. Find out what the church's purpose and vision are. You can't ask too many questions up front, because if you don't, you could be shocked later.


  • What is the "social gospel"? (I've heard Rev. Wright say several times he preaches a "social gospel"). I don't know it all, but my research in the Bible (the guideline for Christian churches) shows that there is only one Gospel. And it's not about race or politics or economics. It is centered on the life, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Check out Galatians 1:8-9.


  • Hate preached from a church's pulpit has no place, whether it be from a red, yellow, black, white or brown perspective. It doesn't matter if it's coming from the right or the left. Sure, there is a time for anger, but not hatred toward any man or group of men.


  • In this country, no one is forced to join a religious group or to stay in one they've joined. But joining and staying is tantamount to agreement.


  • The saying, "Put your money where your mouth is" is true. If I give financially to support any charity, church, organization, I'm putting my stamp of approval on it. Conversely, if I can't in good conscience give to the church I attend, I need to move on.


  • As Americans we have the right of free speech. As a Christian I surrender my "rights" as a citizen of the Kingdom of God. So my speech should be always tempered with grace. Mix that with our natural human weaknesses and emotions and it's easier said than done.
I'm sorry, Mr. Obama, that I didn't post this 20 years ago. Perhaps it could have spared you a lot of your present pain.
[Links added for those of you who commented you either 'lived under a rock' or 'in a hospital',]

19 comments:

Apple said...

Well, put. Thank you for that insight.

CFHusband said...

apparently I'm living in a hospital and have not seen the news in a while because I have no idea what this post was about (although I do understand what you're saying).

Stacey said...

Well said!

Nate, I'm not living in a hospital, but apparently I do live under a rock. While I've had serious concerns about Obama's affiliation with his church for awhile, I had to go look up some recent news articles to figure out what had happened to cause him to squirm!

Apple said...

There are evidently video clips circulating on YouTube and Television with his pastor saying some not so nice things. I haven't seen the clips but had read it on Yahoo! News earlier this week. Obama held a press conference about it too.

Rick Lawrenson said...

I added some links for you who live under rocks or in a hospital!

CFHusband said...

thanks.

CFHusband said...

you know, I have conversations (mostly online) all the time with other worship leaders who say the same types of things about their pastors ("I don't always agree with what he says")...I just can't figure that one out. I'd go crazy if I had serious disagreements and issue with my pastors...

But of course, I'd also go crazy if I was the same type of church "member" that Obama seems to be...

Apple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marcia said...

Rick, you know how God sometimes uses words intended for something entirely different to meet another totally unrelated need? Your words affirmed a very difficult two-year process, and ultimately heart-wrenching decision, that my husband and I have recently had to go through in the process of leaving the church we had been in for twenty-eight years to find another "home". But through it all, God has been forever faithful, and has brought affirmation to us through people like you. Thank you.

Barbara Metcalf Bella Vista, Arkansas said...

living under a rock here. got to go see what's happening in the real world.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I've never understood how people join a church without knowing what the church believes or at least investigating and asking questions first.

Andy

CJolly said...

The sad / scary thing is that Obama knew. The hate that his pastor spewed from the pulpit did not sound like an isolated incident. The other sad thing is that the congregation sounded like they were loving it.
How can this man possibly call himself a Christian?

Apple said...

In response to Andy's comment, I think that is an issue where your church is outstanding. I was saved at 9 and was in the same church from birth until I went to college. So, it wasn't much of an issue, by the time I could make decisions...I knew what the church believed.

During college is when I realized that some churches don't give you any indication of their belief system, except what tid-bits you get from the pulpit. (Which are, of course, important but sometimes candy coated.) You have to really pester and dig for some churches to tell you what their fundamental beliefs are. Ever since I have been "preaching" that churches should do classes before allowing a person to join...not only for the person to know what they are getting in to but also for the church to make sure they are respresented in the community in a respectful way. Then "Voila!" here is NHC doing just that. PTL.

Lee said...

@ Rick ~
Thank you for articulating so clearly some very important points.
@ Andy ~
Sometimes a local church is a part of a larger church body and because of leadership within that larger church body, things change. Also, someone who is very new to their faith may not know the Word well enough themselves to know what to even look for in a church home. They may not know the questions to ask or even know themselves what to believe. If a person were to start out in a church that isn't a solid bible based church, their beliefs could be skewed. As a person grows in their relationship with the Lord they may wake up and realize the church they have been long time members of do not support fully the gospel as it was intended.

Carmen said...

I know what your saying. I watched this man on tv and was shocked. I have never heard a preacher say anything like this. If I did it would be my last trip. Every church I have ever attended has been about the bible and love one another, not hate. Rev. Wright scares me.

JonesFam4 said...

Nicely stated. My husband is a pastor also, and there can be pressure to preach on the "right candidate" sometimes. Luckily we have the Bible to preach from...works out nicely.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Good point, Lee.

Anonymous said...

Pator Rick,
Technology has changed! They have televisions that you can put under rocks!
VERY WELL SAID! Now let's pray that the rest of the voters "get it" too!

La Familia Garcia said...

humm...
I don't know.
I don't necessarily agree with everything my church preaches and wouldn't want to be held to it either. Most of it is not so much their interpretation or teaching, but maybe how things are implimented.
However, I do agree with..then why are you there? Meaning I have submitted to my churches leadership and accept and grow in their teaching of the word.
Thanks for the thoughts