Friday, April 11, 2008

When death gives life

(This originally appeared in my weekly column in The Outer Banks Sentinel.) To learn more about Organ Donation I have a link on the right of the blog page.

Wednesday morning, April 2 my son called from Duke Hospital with the news that a pair of lungs had been located that might be the answer to our prayers. You see, his wife Tricia has Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic disease that attacks (among other things) the lungs. It is a terminal disease – there is no cure – yet. And Tricia’s health had declined to the point where she has been in the hospital at Duke since just after Christmas and on a ventilator since the second week of January.

All day Wednesday we prayed and waited. Someone from Duke flew to another state to examine the lungs and determine if they would work for Tricia. In the mean time, Nathan’s blog overtook the internet. In a 24 hour period he had 100,000 hits. And just before 6PM he called me. “Dad, it’s a go!” As Gail and I were coming into Durham at 9:25 he called to say she the surgery had begun.

All night, five of us, including Tricia’s parents, waited in the waiting room of the NICU, where our granddaughter is thriving. Being there allowed us to drop in and see her during the night. It seemed like an eternity, but nine hours later at 6:30AM we received a call that Tricia was now in the ICU and that the surgery was complete. She has new lungs.

Her life will be forever changed. She has never been able to breathe deeply like the rest of us, and when she has tried, she always coughed. The doctors said that without the transplant she would have died within a year. Now, her life is extended, enabling her to watch her daughter grow. She’s literally received new life.

But that new life came at a great price, and I’m not talking about the cost of being hospitalized for months and major surgeries. That’s a whole ‘nuther story.

For Tricia to receive her new lungs someone had to die.

We don’t know who (that won’t be shared with us unless the donor’s family chooses to do so in a year or so) but someone died on Wednesday and had either made the choice ahead of time, or his/her loved ones made the choice to give someone else a chance at survival by donating organs. In fact, up to eight other people can be given new life from one person’s organs. Over 50 people’s lives can be enhanced by donated tissues. Can there be any greater gift?

A couple of timing things were pretty amazing. First, Wednesday was Nathan’s birthday. He’ll never receive a greater gift than being given more years with the wife he loves. The second is that April is National Organ Donation Awareness Month. The list of people waiting for organs is so great only because the list of available donors is so small. And to make it easier for us to become donors, our state has created an online organ donation registry. In NC you don’t have to wait until you get your next driver’s license anymore. You can sign up today to give someone else life. Go online to www.donatelifenc.org.

I’m a donor, have been since my college days. How about you?

I can’t pass up the spiritual application here. On a hill outside the ancient city of Jerusalem one Person willingly gave up His life and died, paying the penalty for the sin and disobedience of the human race and made life possible for anyone willing to receive it by faith.

Even though Jesus and I were strangers at one time, when He died for me and you, He did so that we might be called His friends. And He is quoted as saying that there is no greater love than when someone would die for His friends. New life is possible, but not without someone paying the price. The good news is that the price has been paid.


©2008 Rick Lawrenson


17 comments:

marcia said...

To borrow a phrase from "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" : "Good, as usual, King Friday!"

Anonymous said...

Excellent column. I copied and forwarded it to several people in my email contacts! Hopefully we can get some organ donors out of it!!!!

Thanks!

Annie- Nashville

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I copy your last entry and forward it on to friends and family as well? I'd love to get more people to sign up for organ donation too! Thanks!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Please forward the link or copy to as many as possible.

Robin Schmitt said...

Excellent reminders about organ donation and Jesus' sacrifice. I've been reading Nate's and your blogs since the day of Tricia's transplant surgery and am excited to see how God is working in the lives of Nate's girls. We're hoping to meet them the next time we come to Nags Head and visit your church.

Robin Schmitt (from Lynchburg, now in Richmond)

Blessings From Above said...

I couldn't agree more. When I'm gone it won't be ME there anyhow. I will be in the presence of God. I have been convinced through watching and listening to Nate and Tricia that organ donation is the way to go. If I am healthy enough when I leave this earth to help someone like Tricia have more time with her children, you'd better believe that I want to do that!

Thanks for raising awareness on this issue!

~j~ said...

Simply beautiful...

Anonymous said...

I read Nate's blog on a daily basis and I hopped over here and was blown away...I was so blessed to read this...Our God and His divine plan as seen here with Tricia just leaves me in awe! HE is so amazing.

Barb said...

I elected to be an organ donor many years ago. When I leave this body I'll have put on my perfect body by then; why not give the gift of a better life to someone who needs a gift?

Michelle Jamie said...

Nathans efforts to creat awarness for organ donation made me aware of the phalicies (sp?) and encouraged my husband and myself to become organ donors. If anything should happen to our children their organs will be donated to!

But the greatest gift would be to give the gospel.

mary40 said...

I love reading your blog, I wish I went to your church(I do go to a church that I am happy with). I look forward every day to see what you will have to say. My husband and I have sign up for our organ to be donated a few years ago, we figure after we are gone we will not be needing them.
Thank you

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

I've been following Nate's blog since it's inception and always find his words encouraging. I also have been looking into vacationing with my family to OBX. I was wondering if possibly you might email me directly, Rick and tell me the best places to stay. Thinking of renting beachfront condo, etc. for a week or so. Maybe someone in your congregation has rental property. I would love to rent from a fellow believer. Please email me if you get a chance. I'd love to hear what there is to do and what places are good to stay at. Thanks Heather Rice
http://www.ricetrio.blogspot.com
casaderice@att.net

Thomas and Lisa said...

Great post. Before I got to the end I was already thinking of how Jesus' sacrifice has given new life to all. We don't have to wait to see if it's a good match to cure what's ailing us, it's the only match.

Been praying for Nate, Tricia, and their precious daughter and will continue to. We have a friend that received several organs in a transplant about two years ago. Soon she'll be graduating from college. My husband and I signed up to be organ donors. I was just looking at my driver's license today and thinking about how important being an organ donor is.
Lisa

Scott said...

I see where Nate gets his gift to write! You spin a pretty good "yarn" there my friend. You all are in our prayers daily.

Laurie Johansen said...

With your permission I would love to post your post/article on organ donation on my daughter's blog. If it's okay with you I would love to share your daughter-in-laws story and your article? If you allow me to copy your post on Ashley's blog, I will of course include a link to your blog.

Thank you,

Laurie Johansen

Rick Lawrenson said...

Go ahead, Laurie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating so frequently. Your family has moved my entire family. I am an organ donor (in NY State our new licenses have it written pretty large, it's a badge of honor!, give blood frequently) and my husband was a living donor for his childhood best friend with CF back in 1999. Thanks for all the wonderful posts.