Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Flashback

Each week from the vantage point of my office I get to hear and see our Kids Church staff getting set up and also get to watch them interact with the kids as they arrive. It's so great to have people in the church who love kids like these folks. No wonder kids think church is awesome!

Fred Robison is our Berean (see Acts 17:11). If there's a typo in my notes of a Scripture reference, Fred finds it. Thanks Fred! It was Ephesians not 2 Corinthians like the notes said.

Thanisha was back leading worship today after taking a couple of Sundays away tending to her new little boy. Great songs today. They fit with the message on the way salvation gives us a new way of thinking. And the band sounded super. Don't forget Michelle's part in that from the sound board.

We went back to a semi-circle chair set up. I like the way it works better than some of the other things we do.

I had a fun conversation after the 2nd gathering with a number of first time guests. That's a great way to get input on what we're doing.

As great as Sundays can be (and usually are) at NHC, it doesn't begin on Sunday. Lots of preparation and work precedes what happens from around 8:30 to 12:30 on Sunday. Behind the scenes volunteers are getting the building clean; printing outlines and lessons for adults and children; picking up donuts and making coffee; practicing songs; setting up tables and chairs; popping popcorn... To pull off a worship gathering like ours at NHC requires a lot of effort, much that goes "unnoticed" by most. I hope that if you and your family enjoy our worship gatherings at NHC that you take a moment on occasion and just say so to the volunteers. They're the heartbeat of ministry.

9 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

I think the video Tech had great skills and agility of the button pushing finger and fluid mouse movement.

00 said...

Is Andy the video tech guy?

hahaha....

What you wrote is so true though, and something that we easily forget. There are so many "behind the scenes" people in ANY and EVERY church service that really "make" the service. It's so easy to forget that to put on a great service in most churches today requires lots of work from ppl that will never get on the stage.

Andy Lawrenson said...

I'm not usually the tech guy. I guess I'm the utility player at NHC. :)

CFHusband said...

what Andy meant to say was, "Thanks to Matt for hooking me up on Saturday night so that I looked like I knew what I was doing on Sunday morning...".

Michelle Jamie said...

Praise God for silent servants!

I love reading your Sunday updates.

Michelle Jamie said...

I'm just curious. What doctrine does your church hold to?

Rick Lawrenson said...

Michelle,
You can read our doctrinal statement on our web site. www.nagsheadchurch.org

CJolly said...

I still think the video tech guy should have done the "great all seeing eye"!

Bonnie said...

we actually found the typo on the references this morning at breakfast devos. I just thought our translation was WAY different from yours...snicker. Good stuff though in the sermon. Right where we need to be!