Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday Flashback

God didn't give us Carolina Blue skies this morning. I guess he was merciful.

It was great to see Claire Drake back at church this morning at the 11:00 gathering after a 5 week absence. She beings her chemo soon, and I know that she would covet your prayers. The amazing thing about Claire is that she doesn't want to talk about her life crisis, but wants to know about my family. She's my hero. Tommy's a blessed man.

Again, more new people at our gatherings today. For me that's one of the best things about Sundays - getting to meet new people. I can't keep up with them. Time was at NHC when I could tell you every person who was there on Sunday. My mind was a tad bit sharper, no doubt, but it's a lot easier in a room that holds a max of 100. I've given up trying these days. And that's fun.

A lot of people were totally surprised when during my message (about peace and faith) I picked up Chad's guitar and we sang "It Is Well With My Soul". They didn't know I got kicked off the band when Nathan came. Glad it was only one song, though. My finger tip callouses that come with guitar playing are gone. I shared the story of Horatio Spafford, the author of the song's lyrics and how he came to pen those incredible words. I love that phrase, "Let this blessed assurance control". Who controls your life?

I so much appreciate our tech team at NHC. They do so much to add to the whole nuance of our worship gatherings, running the sound and manning the computer that controls our visuals. I'm sure we take you all for granted too often, yet if we didn't have you we'd miss you big time.

I could sing "The Revelation Song" every Sunday. How incredible are those words? And we learned a new song this morning, "Mighty to Save".

During the second gathering Judy Taylor became ill. Steve (who was at the sound booth) took her to the ER. Thanks Rich for jumping in to cover for Steve. Pray for her please.

Tonight was our Communion Fellowship. Pastor Steve's teaching was to the point about Christ's sacrifice. Good job! The MP13 Band did superb leading us in worship. Lots of great food and fellowship. Again, I saw lots of new folks there tonight. One thing I like about these Communion Fellowships is that it gives a lot of people the chance to serve in different ways - setting up the tables and chairs, getting the food ready, watching the kids, cleaning up, etc. Doing things together is what our Gatherings are all about.

Welcome to some new partners: Carole Edmonds, Kit Trotter and Matt (I can't spell his last name). Kitt's going to be baptized soon. Matt's story is special. Technically he's not officially a partner yet because even though he's trusted Christ, and he's 16, his mom objects to him being baptized, which is a requirement to be a partner in our fellowship. But he wants to help out. He also wants to honor his mother (which we encourage). So we're taking him in our care. He's really serious about his new found faith in Christ and is a great young man.

And thanks to Rich for the groovy new signage on my office door. Andy's looks good, too, but mine is better.

I have to confess that as we were singing tonight I was really wishing Nathan was back with us. It won't be long.

16 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

My singing was probably what spurred the wishing Nate was back with us. :)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Wow. I thought Steve had his mic turned on. That was you?

My2Girls said...

Do you have any "commuters" who regularly attend your church? It sounds like such a wonderful place to WORSHIP! Hhhhmmmm....I may have to take a "road trip" from Va Beach sometime to experience your awesome church in person!

P.S. - My next door neighbor will be permanently moving to Nags Head in June. I am highly recommending your church!

Rick Lawrenson said...

We do have some commuters!
Some come from Columbia, NC, Elizabeth City, NC and Grandy, NC. But none yet from VA Bch!

But 20 years ago my family was commuting every Sunday from down here to Va Beach for church.

My2Girls said...

Rick -

Just curious. As a Va Beach native of 31 years, I have to ask what church you attended here locally in Va Beach?

Amy

Rick Lawrenson said...

Started out with Community Bible Church which then merged with Faith Baptist Church and became Faith Bible Church back around 1988.

We left there in 1991 to come here to Nags Head Church.

My2Girls said...

I honestly haven't heard of Faith Baptist Church in Va Beach.

I grew up at Westwood Hill Baptist Church. Started attending in preschool and grew up in the church. Was VERY active in the youth group! I have the fondest memories of my younger years at Westwood Hill Baptist Church.

Also, my father-in-law pastors a fairly large church in Va Beach. I enjoyed reading your post about pastor's kids. I was thinking of my husband (he's a PK).

Well, you just might see me some day at NHC. My husband is a die-hard surfer and "frequents" the OBX often for the good surf. Or as he puts it, "I'm heading down South for surf." OBX and Hatteras waves are MUCH better than Va Beach waves. We also have family members in Buxton, so we visit them from time to time, as well.

Anyway, maybe one Sunday morning, we'll "pack up" for the day, throw the surfboards in the back of the truck, and we'll head down for Sunday service at NHC and then leave from there for some fun in the sun! We'll make a day of it!

Thanks for the responses. I am a loyal reader to your blog. I check it daily.

God Bless you and your family, Rick!

~Amy
Va Beach

CFHusband said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CFHusband said...

Westwood Hill Baptist Church...I think I've heard of that place....

My2Girls said...

Yes, Nate ... I know you and Tricia know it well. In fact, I remember one Sunday I went back to Westwood Hill for a visit. As I've mentioned before, my brother Greg and his wife and three children still attend there. They are the ones who originally forwarded me your blogspot back in late December. Anyhow, I remember going back to visit on a Sunday and thinking, who is that young dude leading the praise band on the stage...??? Ha! So, I've witnessed your musical talents firsthand! I can't tell you how many times I sang up on that very same stage. As a young child in the Christmas productions, as a teenager in the youth choir musicals ... I even landed some rather embarrassing "lead" roles in some of those productions. Anyway, I have very good memories of growing up in church at Westwood Hill. I'm sure (in fact I "know" for a fact) that we mutually know some of the nicest folks in the world from WWH Baptist Church. I aslo am very blessed to say that I personally know the Jackson family. (Inside scoop - I actually dated one of the PK's for a few years). Mrs. Jackson is a dear, dear lady and I feel blessed to say that I know her. One of the nicest, kindest people ever! Anyway, I could tell you some very funny stories, I'm sure, about some of those other peeps! Well, I better stop typing and get myself ready for work!

Mandy said...

That is my favourite hymn. I dearly love that one. It is so peaceful. When I lost my Grandfather to cancer my church (he was agnostic) sang that song to me... and I truely believe that he is in a better place because I have let the peace come from within and let God take control of what is supposed to be.

Apple said...

Jars of Clay "Redemtion Songs" has their version of "It is well with my soul" and I crank up the speakers and sing to the top of my lungs everytime I play that CD. It is one of my all time favorites, I appreciated singing it yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, since you brought up guitar playing, I remember one song you sang many years ago. 'The Outlaw' by Larry Norman. You showed me the chords one time and I still played it today. Just wondering if NHC has been blessed by that song?

Michelle Jamie said...

I remember a time when our church was also at a number when I could name every one for you. Now its growen so big. Just last night my hubby and I introduced ourselves to some new faces and said we'd noticed them around for the past few weeks and they said they had been attending since September last year. Yikes!!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hey Scott,
The church hasn't been so blessed for many years now!

Maya Resnikoff said...

I'm really quite amazed at how much coordination and how many people you need/use to lead prayer there. It must take so very much planning.