Saturday, April 19, 2008

My name is Rick

Another blog got me thinking. (Don't laugh.)

For whatever reason there's this hesitation in some people's minds when speaking to me as to how they should address me. And it's only because I'm a "man of the cloth". (Don't ask me what that phrase means. I don't have a clue. What cloth? I guess I'll have to Google that phrase.)

So, people think I appreciate being called a number of different things (at least the ones I can repeat here). I get the following:

Padre - sorry, you're not my child! Heck, you're not even hispanic.

Preacher - preaching encompasses about 80 minutes of my week. I spend more time driving my truck. So why not "Trucker"? Come on. And not to offend anyone from more rural and southern cultures, we're not there. Close maybe. But not there.

Pastor - not "Pastor Rick", but just "Pastor". Pastor is my role; maybe even my gift. But it's not my name. I don't call you "Woman", or "Mechanic". And I sure don't call my beloved "Wife", or worse "Mom". Don't misunderstand. I am not downplaying either respect or that I love what I do. In fact, I appreciate it when children address me as "Pastor Rick". Now, if it makes you feel better to call me "Pastor Rick", I can live with that. But really, you don't have to.

Reverend - my least favorite. That goes for it's nickname, "Rev" as well. Jesus said "holy and reverend" is God's name, not mine. I'm of the ecclesiastical tradition (and a biblical one, I believe) that there is no legitimate division between "clergy" and "laity". Insisting on a title like "Rev." or even "Doctor" says there's a higher class in the church. I don't think so.

If you really want to show me respect, the best way to do that is to live like Christ. That says to me, "Your teaching and leadership means something."

My friends call me "Rick". You can, too.

Actually, my legal name is "Richard". But if you call me that, I'll assume you work for the IRS or are a phone solicitor.

8 comments:

Tricia said...

Thanks for the thoughts. Our pastor I think would echo your feelings as he too sees himself as one of us, the church. We are all together working towards the same goal. Thanks for being so candid.

CFHusband said...

haha.

Donna said...

What a great post! You are genuinely very funny.

Momnnashville said...

Rick - I love reading your blog - I came to you by way of your famous little Gwyneth. Your friends call you Rick - what will Gwyneth call you and won't that give you reason to dance another jig? I know you and your family must be over-joyed with the thought of having Nate and his girls home soon. Just wanted to say hi and let you know how happy I am for all of you. Your family is in my prayers!

Caroline Cordle said...

My Dad and my Hubby are both "Pastor's", and they are right there with you on this one! "PAstor" is only a little part of what you guys do, it just doesn't cover it!

La Familia Garcia said...

This is great. I wonder how many other pastors struggle with this.

Michelle Jamie said...

A few years ago our pastors addressed this very issue when they went through the biblical backing for plurality of elders. There are stills some die hard’s though ;)

I had to laugh at the IRS comment...ha ha

Steve S said...

Interesting Stuff (Rick!) I think I will call you Richard, there are a lot of famous people who have that first name. I appreciate your Blog. I have never blogged anyone before, it sounds dangerous!

God Bless!

"Pastor" Steve Ha! Ha!