Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is it enough "just" to be a Christ-follower?

In my last post (and I encourage you to read that first) I talked about how the ancient word "Christian" can but often does not mean what it says. Over the centuries it has come to mean anything from relationship with Christ to your nationality, depending on who says and hears the word. There was an interesting comment to that post about representing Christ in another culture where "Christian" didn't mean what it meant to the missionary.

The same thing can and does apply to "Christ follower" or "follwer of Jesus" or whatever title you choose. I read an editorial column in today's paper where the writer happened to choose "follwer of Jesus" for himself. Problem is, the Jesus he represented in his column looks mighty different from the Jesus of the Bible. More on that at a later date.

But is it enough to say "I'm a Christ follower"? And is that phrase deeper than on the surface it may seem? Let's let Jesus answer that.

Consider this. When Jesus approached those He was about to select to be His disciples (learners), what verbage did He use? To Matthew the tax collector He simply said, "Follow me". When brothers Peter and Andrew were fishing He called out to them, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men". And they followed Him. Two other fishermen bros, James and John also followed Him.

He considered Himself a shepherd and said that His sheep hear His voice and follow Him.

To His disciples He equated "following" Him with denial of self and taking up the cross; losing your life for His sake. Sounds pretty heavy. That's no insigificant commitment.

In what may have been His last instructions to Peter He said, "You follow me".

As I use "Christ-follower" I use it to describe a level of commitment beyond belief. While I believe firmly that it is simple belief (faith) that gives one a relationship with the Savior, I also believe that Savior calls believers to follow Him into a life of devotion and service. That's anything but easy or simplistic.

"Christ-follower" gives a picture of what that means, even to those who don't believe. It says, "I don't just talk the talk, I'm striving to walk the walk". And the walk is accomplished by going where Jesus leads.

Is it enough? I would say it's all we can handle and then some. But what a journey it is!

6 comments:

Dypheezy said...

It certainly is a journey and a half, I like the way you use your words, words have been destroyed by modern culture and that is where saying you are a christ follower can come undone. People dont put weight to the words they hear anymore.

Anonymous said...

I think that we as christian are not and/or should be apologetic of the word or meaning, I personally believe that too many unqualified people have assumed the 'title' and it makes them feel good. But to call yourself a FOLLOWER OF CHRIST really puts the rubber on the road. Are we truly Follower of Christ or are we wanna-bees? I have based my opinion on the industry that I am associated with. What I have found is, people are ignorant in Gods Word. They say, "yes I am Christian, I was baptized when I was a baby at the local catholic church. I was talking to him about this just the other day until he came in to work high on drugs. He was terminated that afternoon due to the results of a UA. It broke my heart. Anyway great post and continued prayer for the 3 amigos and Rick and Gail

Anonymous said...

My mistake. I proof read everything but this one slipped by me...second line should say...should NOT be apologetic

marcia said...

I just voted "yes" on your survey, but am grateful that you defined that as "...striving to walk the walk." I'm not "there", yet, in the sense that I am far from perfect, in human terms, in allowing Christ to live through me and in how I interact with those with whom I cross paths in the course of my days. And I am also grateful that my relationship with God is not dependent on how "perfectly" I emulate Christ each day! But I think it is very important that we, as Christians in every sense of the word, realize that that name does not simply mean that we have accepted the gift of salvation, and that's all there is to it. Christianity is not just some sort of eternal life insurance...it is a way of life that is the best there is on this earth, and for our years of existence in this realm. And Christ is the example of how to live that life in the way that best glorifies God and accomplishes His purposes for us and through us. As I am writing this, the thought keeps surfacing that I even wonder if "striving" is the word I would chose, because I fully realize that there is no way I could ever hope to accomplish any of this in my own strength, or determination. Perhaps the "striving" comes in what it takes to let go of myself and allow Christ and His Spirit to flow through me to all those around me each day???
Great food for thought, Rick!

Tracy N said...

I have to tell you that I wish I lived a bit closer to your church. I would love to hear you preach. I have read many of your posts on your feelings and views. I wish that I could find a church in my area with a leader such as yourself. I recall your post on are you a pointer or a shooter? I actually copied it and sent it on to my faimly.. giving you credit of course... Shooting is primarily what I have been exposed to.... Those that are more than willing to cast that first stone without looking first at their own sin. I look foward to more of your words.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Tracy,
If you really want to hear me you can go to our church web site linked on my blog and find our podcast page.

Be careful, though. Sometimes Andy's stuff is on there, too.