Monday, April 7, 2008

On the platform with Andy Griffith


(Part of my reason for writing this is just to make my little brother insanely jealous. I confess.)

Earlier today I was a participant in a community wide award ceremony called the "2008 Land of Beginnings Community Luncheon". A local businessman seated next to me at the table looked at the program and said, "You're on the program!". "Yeah. I'll do anything for a free lunch!"

Actually I was there to give the invocation, at the request of my friend Sandy Semans, editor of The Outer Banks Sentinel. The "Living Legends" award was given to Eddie Greene, a local businessman and community minded man who has given much back to the OBX.

His friend Andy Griffith, along with Mrs. Griffith (Cindi) were among the distinguished speakers. Even after living for almost 22 years in the same county as Andy it was the first time I've seen him in public. Years ago I used to wish I could drive up his driveway, pull out my guitar and sit on the front porch and pick and grin with him.

When I was called upon to give the prayer he was seated just 5 feet behind me. You don't know how strongly I fought the urge to turn around and say something like, "Gomer says 'hey!'", or "Nip it. Nip it in the bud!" Or perhaps my favorite, "It's me, it's me, it's Ernest T.!"

But I resisted the urge and prayed.

I was also blessed by the number of people, many of whom I had never met who approached me to tell me they were praying for Tricia, Gwyneth and Nathan.

And one more thing. Our state senator, Marc Basnight, gave the keynote address. I gotta say this, Marc is one smart guy. He gave an empassioned speech about the environment here and our role as Outer Bankers to lead the way in protecting it. For 15 minutes he spoke without notes, referring to a number of issues facing us. No wonder he's the President pro tempore of the NC Senate. I also know he's a great guy who serves us well, and has even assisted Tricia.

14 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

5 feet from the legend! I am jealous.
But remember Ellie May put her arm around me for a picture once. ;)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Ellie Mae used to kiss chimps, too.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Lucky chimps!

Barbara Kay said...

Lucky me! I get to work in the same space as these guys! It never ends...and I'm SO glad! I can't wait for Nathan to get back and add even more to the mix. I'll be needing a principal's time out corner, for sure. bk

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Can I be jealous too along with your brother Andy?!!! Wow... As a kid I watched Andy Griffith and Barney Fife by the hour. My kids even love them!!! And boy can he sing.

Julie

Aspiemom said...

They way you write about OBX, it makes me want to live there! We were engaged there 22 yrs ago and I look forward to visiting again someday. But it sounds like a nice community to put down roots in. Aspiemom

Bonnie said...

hobnobber!

marcia said...

We stayed overnight in Mt. Airy a couple of months ago, and saw that the whole town is a shrine to the show...but did NOT see anyone famous, in person. How fun!
We ate in the same restaurant, at the same time(but NOT at the same table!), with Vivian Vance (Ethel Mertz(sp?) from I Love Lucy). Does that count for anything? :) And BK, I'm not sure if I should envy your job or extend my sympathy! NEVER a dull moment around NHC, right? :):)

Rick Lawrenson said...

There's NOTHING like a pork chop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch diner in Mt. Airy, Andy's hometown. It's worth the trip.

marcia said...

Wish we had that tidbit of info before stopping there for the night.:) The "meal" we had at the truck stop near our motel when we got in late at night, was nothing to write home about! :) On the road early the next morning again...beautiful state, yours...what we saw of it, cutting off that western corner on the way through.

jamie said...

Hah-Gomer says hey. Loved that show. Pork chop sandwich,hu? Now I'm hungry!! God Bless,
Jamie in Texas

Andy Lawrenson said...

The snappy pork chop sandwich. Let me break it down:
1 boneless chop
dipped in a sort of pancake consistency batter
served on a burger bun which cannot contain the size of the chop
Slaw (cole slaw for those from another planet)
Tomatoes
Onions

I ate two in one sitting and amazed those around me. Maybe it was the bag of chips I ate with it that brought the awe and inspiration. :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I forgot to add it is deep fried.

We stood in line for a long time to get in.

I then went next door to Floyd's barber shop and seriously considered a flat top in "Andy's" chair. I did sit in it.

marcia said...

So, Andy...is that sandwich good enough to blow a whole week of WW points on? I'm guessing that is about how it would stack up! :):) Guess maybe your memories will have to satisfy you for now :(