Sunday, April 20, 2008

What's this world coming to?



I've lived in Dare County (or for 2 years just across the bridge in Harbinger) since 1986. Lots of things have changed here in the name of progress, most of which have actually made life here on our island paradise (actually we're on a peninsula) more comfy. It is nice to be able to not have to venture to Elizabeth City or to Tidewater (that's VA) to shop in a department or discount store. Sure makes December more palatable.

But the true sign that we've become civilized is almost upon us. Starbucks is about to open here.

They won't get any of my hard earned cash, however.

First, they're locating in a direction opposite of where I typically find myself when in need of a cup of jo. Second, I'm totally happy with the local establishment where I do make the occasional coffee purchase. And I pass by both of their shops daily. Third, Starbucks is way overpriced. And usually when a chain opens here their prices are higher than anywhere else in the country because we're in a resort area and the rent ain't cheap. Fourth, Starbucks is a passe trend, and I'm totally with it. Ask my kids.

And on top of that news, Dunkin' Donuts is preparing to open multiple outlets here soon as well.

It all started when they added two lanes to the Wright Memorial Bridge. What's next? Here's the inside scoop: IHOP. Oh, yeah.

5 comments:

bdodge said...

Ha! We moved home to a small town in Michigan (from outside Detroit) and I thought I'd die of happiness when Starbucks FINALLY arrived. :)

Still praying for your family. I enjoy reading your blog.

Apple said...

I'm still waiting on that Olive Garden that's been rumored for the last 5 years!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Just know that unless Chick fil a changes their policy we will never see one here on the OBX. The town a Chick is located in must have 50,000 residents. They don't count tourists.

I wonder how many points are in a chocolate Dunkin Munchkin?

IHOP - those grain and nut cakes with berry syrup. Yummo!

Olive Garden is a ways off.

I would love to see a Super Wal Mart and a Target and a Sams

Paul J. said...

In the past 8 months, we've gone from no Starbucks to THREE Starbucks.
But I'd rather have a Dunkin'. Their coffee rules.

Jessica Anderson said...

I hope that doesn't put all of our wonderful coffee shops out of business. sigh.