Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Naps

I distinctly remember hating nap time when I was a little boy. I didn't want to go to bed! Not in the middle of the day. But Mom didn't care much what I wanted. Somewhere in Parenting 101 there was this chapter on "Every child needs to take a nap", and she believed it to be true.

So I would go, protesting to no avail, to my room to lay upon my bed for what seemed like hours, wide awake. Eventually my "Can I get up now" whines would take her to the end of her patience and she would relent. I took plenty of "naps" but rarely, if ever, went to sleep. What was I thinking when I was four?

Now at 52 I'd like to redeem some of those lost naps and put them to good use. Where's Mom when you need her?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why I love working from home. I can take a nap when I want. And often I need to. Even if it's only for 20 minutes.

elj377 said...

I'm only 31 but I miss nap time!

Kristen said...

I am only 26 and when dealing with toddlers, I need my nap time too! Sometimes I just lay there like they or I did when I was little, sometimes I fall asleep...or read or just relax. I think everyone should have a 2 hour nap time in their day...think of all they could do to relax...

CJolly said...

I'm with you there Rick! I have never been a napper, but in the last few years naps have become one of life's simple pleasures.

Megan and Company said...

Exactly!

It is 7:40am and I already need a nap.

Blessings From Above said...

Oh, I can so relate to that. Napping, although I rarely get to do it, is one of my most favorite indulgences.

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

I've tried telling my 4 (8,6,4,3) that someday they will WISH for a nap and they are all like, "Mom, your nuts!! I'll NEVER willingly take a nap." LOL

Julie

Alaina @ Three Ladies and a Dad said...

I sooo wish I could take naps still!

Oh...yes...very awesome news since last night for us!

Anonymous said...

I'm only 25 and I need a nap now! I need one every day about this time! I'd do anything for one of those green cots and my blanket that we had at daycare!!!! I think it would set up real nice under my desk! No one would ever know! HA! Thanks for taking me back to that childhood memory!

Annie-nashville

Laurie said...

Too true! My mom insisted on nap time. I would sneak out of my room to find her napping. Later, I was paid back with my own children. I would need a nap and they wouldn't sleep. Mom also used to say that I hope you have kids just like you! Well, Mom...I did!