Friday, November 30, 2007
Lessons from a Cristy Lane CD
At a recent regional denominational youth event participating churches were asked to donate items to give away as door prizes. One church gave a Cristy Lane (real name: Eleanor Stoller) CD.
1. Don't work with youth if you think Cristy Lane is what they would enjoy listening to.
2. Don't ask them to sing along with "One Day at a Time". And they don't remember Kristofferson, either, so it still won't work.
3. Don't ask "I wonder why we just can't get our youth excited about Jesus" if you think Cristy Lane is what they would enjoy.
4. If you invite Cristy to come and perform for your church (is she still alive?) don't be surprised if your youth choose to stay in the church basement and play pong in your youth room. However, be ready for your parking lot to be filled with Oldsmobiles.
5. Don't be surprised if the church down the road has a growing youth group while your's is populated by the pastor's and deacons' kids who would rather be down the road.