Monday, November 5, 2007

Sunday Flashback

Typically I write this on Sunday evening, but our Sunday was long and full yesterday. And it was good!

Sunday morning we commissioned 120+ who committed themselves to engaging their cultures as missionaries. I've just read through most of the cards and am excited about the potential to reach our community "wherever we go". Of those who came forward (our first public "invitation" in years) 16 are in our "community" - attenders but not yet committed to the fellowship and another 16 were middle and high school youth.

I've challenged them to form "mission teams" with others who work in their same field, or who have similar passions. For example, several said they want to reach the surfing community. Several moms want to reach other moms. My dream is for them to team up and make a difference together. It could happen!

We used several videos yesterday of stories of how to and one of how not to reach your community. It was stuff everyone can do, and I think we got it. Everyone who has been adopted by Jesus is called by Him to be a missionary.

The band did some songs that relate to the whole outreach theme. I asked Nate to include Geoff Moore's "In My Own Backyard", which they played/sang as the "missionaries" were making their commitments.

One couple (that I know of) came for the first time as a result of Trunk or Treat. I met some other brand new folks seeking.

One of our pastors, who has been here almost as long as me, said it was the the most "moving" worship gathering we've ever had. I'm encouraged, and time will tell. Our job now as leaders is to continue to lead and direct them into ways to reach their cultures in their generation.

Another step to becoming a missional church and being balanced in all 5 purposes of the church.

Sunday evening we returned for our monthly Communion gathering. Steve did a great job teaching about the things that remind us of the cross. Nate led us in a new (to us) rendition of "Nothing But the Blood". So many positive comments about how we're able now to have Communion all together with the meal. Last night we fit about 140 in. And the food - "Thankgiving Feast" was over the top good and plenty!

Gail and I ate with a first time couple to our Lord's Supper gathering, which we seem to do often. That's a good thing for us. They brought a couple of their teenage son's friends with them to church Sunday morning. These kids did not want to go. But when it was over they said they wanted to come back.

We also welcomed 3 new members into the fellowship, which is always fun! I'm not sure what it is, but the last couple of months we seem to be on a constant crescendo from Sunday to Sunday. My guess is that's how it's supposed to be.

No comments: