Friday, October 19, 2007

OKie dokie

After waking up at 2:30AM and leaving for the airport at 3:00, Gail and I arrived in Oklahoma City a little after 10AM Okie time. We picked up our rental car - a yellow (her choice) little chevy of some kind with no frills - and headed toward the metropolis of Hugo, OK. First, however we needed food, and found a good spot at the Santa Fe Steak or something like that, just outside Tinker AFB. Very similar to a Logans Roadhouse, if you're familiar with that.

The 3 hour trip to Hugo, where my parents and brother/family reside, was a vivid reminder that Oklahoma was Indian Territory before statehood 100 years ago. (It's their centennial year.) It also reminded me, as I saw signs with familar names, of the time we spent ministering in Tulsa in 1978-1980. Lots of short trees out here!

This is our first visit here in several years, and the first time to visit my parents in their current home. It's very comfortable. Mom had a great supper prepared and we enjoyed the evening talking.

I'm up at 5AM (my internal clock says it's 6:00), so before everyone else rises I'm doing a little work. Mark, Debbie and nephews and niece arrive later for a visit. Then this evening we drive back to OKC where I'll be taking classes through Wednesday.

I may have to pick up a cowboy hat while I'm here. You're doing fine, Oklahoma. OK. (It's a nice place to visit, if you know what I mean.)

No comments: