Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Present Future


Today I re-started reading Reggie McNeal's The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church. I say "re-started" because I began reading it months ago then put it down and got sidetracked. So today I went back to page 1 and began again.

Here's the final paragraph from the first chapter about the need for the church to rediscover her mission. It encapsulates the chapter well.

That's the church's mission: to join God in his redemptive efforts to save the world. People all around us are in darkness. They are going to die unless someone finds a way to save them. Trouble is, the church is sleeping on the job. Too many of us have forgotten why we showed up for work. Even worse, many of us have never known.

Like it or not, he's right. Let me get into chapter 2.

No comments: