Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Either lead, follow or get out of the way


I saw that saying on a poster almost 30 years ago when I was still wet behind the ears and didn't have a clue what it meant or what it took to be a leader. To tell the truth, I found it pretty hard to swallow; almost offensive.

But didn't Jesus say essentially the same thing to His disciples. How about these words...
  • He who isn't with me is against me
  • If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.
  • Those who want to be my disciples must come and follow me, because my servants must be where I am.
  • Anyone who isn't helping me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me.
  • Let the dead bury the dead. You come follow.

Jesus was unafraid to cut it straight and use imperitives. With Him, those were the options: either get on the bus or get off. But the bus is going to roll with or without you.

Leadership isn't something that comes easy for most of us, including me. Many of my best leadership lessons have come from failing to draw the lines. Sometimes you have to say the tough things, just as Jesus did. But that's what leaders who want to lead like Jesus must do.

I've figured out why in my younger days I struggled with that saying. It's because I didn't want to follow; didn't know how to lead and was too stubborn to get out of the way. And I didn't understand Jesus very well, either.


No comments: