Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fire at The Lost Colony!


I must have been asleep for about an hour and a half when my pager woke me with the news that Nags Head's Fire department was being requested for what was being upgraded to a 2nd alarm fire. The fact that the dispatcher said "At the Lost Colony" accelerated my wake up.

The Lost Colony is one of our national treasures. The outdoor production, which tells the story of the first English colony in the New World is our story. The theater is visited by thousands each summer. All 3 of my kids graduated from Manteo High School walking across it's platform.

As I got quickly dressed and prepared to drive to our station, the request from the scene command became more urgent: "Call everyone north of Oregon Inlet!". Departments from at least 7 locales were on the way. I never saw so many engines and trucks at one place!

Being a chaplain, I reported to the incident commander that I was on scene and available in that capacity if needed. Fortunately I wasn't needed! So I got to join my brothers manning a hose. Lots of smoke and steam! And I wacked my head at least 4 times on the same tree limb. (But I was wearing my helmet!)

I got home at 0430 (that's fire talk for "before the sun rises"). Took a quick shower; threw my smoky clothes in the washer and got a few more hours sleep.

Today my right elbow is sore from gripping that nozzle so hard!

It's also 9-11. At least I can feel my elbow.

No comments: