Sunday, September 9, 2007

Nebuchadnezzar: Was he or wasn't he?

Earlier this summer I did a series at church on the stories of Daniel and his 3 friends, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. Toward the end of the series I asked for comments on Nebuchadnezzar, the Babylonian king: did he become a believer in Daniel's God or not? Here are the comments I received! (Some have been edited for space!)
  • I think that Nebuchadnezzar did become a believer. My question comes with what happened next...I realize that we repeat the same mistakes but if Nebuchandnezzar was a true believer did he practice what he had learned? Why did he not return the goblets? Why did his son Belshazzar need to have the Queen Mother remind him of Daniel? Did he not teach his family and kingdom about his God? It's still the same today. We believe but do we put it into action? Thank you for making it relevant for each of us. - CA
  • I definitely vote in favor of Neb’s conversion in the end. - EB
  • About Neb—in Daniel 5, when Daniel is interpreting Neb’s predecessor’s dream, he refers to Neb’s conversion as though it were real. I’m believing Daniel. - BK
  • Comparing Scripture with Scripture, I can “see” that I can, now, conclude that King Neb and “the men” were, according to the Word of God, saved—by faith: “the just shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:17) “…faith, if it hath not works, is dead….” (James 2:17, 20) - BC
  • I believe that Nebuchadnezzar did become a believer in God. The Bible's recounting of Nebuchadnezzar's reign ends with him with him saying," Now I, Nebuchadnezzar,praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, all of whose works are truth, and His ways justice. And those who walk in pride He is able to put down." (Daniel 4.37) - FR
  • HE DID!!!! The wording is quite clear. VS 37. I NEB. praise and exalt, and honor the King of heaven etc. His ways are true and just…He is able to humble those who walk in pride. This is the acknowledgement of a redeemed and contrite heart. Too bad his son did not follow in his foot steps. - LP
  • By the end of Daniel 4, it is appearant that Neb has been greatly humbled and has received God as the one and only. Dan 4:37 is the final statement on his humbling and new walk. He is freed to worship and shown God's splendor. Neb even warns of God's power and ability to handle anything. - RR
  • I would say that he did become a believer...would be pretty hard not to believe that Daniel's God was the real true God after all that was revealed to him. Of course there are those who see and hear but still don't believe. Nebuchadnezzar's words though about God being the real God say to me that he confessed with his mouth and believed in his heart. - CP
  • I believe Nebuchadnezzer became a believer. One reason is because of the fact that he stated that he believed that Daniel's God was God; which says to me that he had the Holy Spirit in him. - TH
  • I wasn't in the building on Sunday but verses 34-37 tell me that he was restored. He did what those of us who have been restored do....he spread the word. - ES
  • Yes, because he acknowledged God as The Most High. - MA
  • I believe God knew what it would take to change Nebuchadnezzar and the Bible ends on that note of his life. Now do we all truly repent of all our sin when we are saved? I don't think we do completely but there should be a change that follows true repentance, and God show us an example of his power by changing a pegan king. But we will truly not know for sure till we get to heaven. - BN
  • We say because this is the last reference to Nebu., it does seem that he did believe in the one true God. But was he looking to the coming Messiah for his salvation? - AS
  • The implication seems to favor a conversion. However, for me the question is: how/should/why and does this historical fact in his life, impact my life? It is my belief that God is speaking very clearly to us; he is the one and only God as he shares the evidence in the life of Nebuchadnezzar. - DB
  • I don't think so. Nebi did acknowledge that God revealed mysteries to Daniel and he praised the God who rescued the three Hebrews but he still did not acknowledge God as his Lord. - SB
  • I vote yes. - DH [Just get to the point!.]
  • Yeah, I think he did. God revealed Himself to Neb, and Neb decided it was ludicrous to follow any other god. - SA
  • I always thought that Nebuchadnezzar was converted. The verse that really pushed me over the ledge into thinking that was the last verse, it states: "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and glorify and honor the King of heaven. All his acts are just and true, and he is able to humble the proud." Daniel 4:37-NLT. - GL
  • I'm voting for "yes", based on Dan 4:37, and Dan. 5:21, where Daniel tells Neb.'s son, Bel. that "(Neb.) acknowledged that the Most High God is sovereign over the kingdoms of men, and sets over them anyone He wishes." - BK
  • Yes, I believe he did come to know God, because Nebuchadnezzar is the one who is writing this account, as it begins in verse 4:1 and he is still writing at the end, in verses 34 to 37. The dream prochecy came true and he was given his mind back after he spent the seven years living and looking like Grizzly Adams. The deal was that he would be given his mind back after he learned that the High God rules and reigns. - RS
  • After being humbled for 7 years, he received blessings of restored sanity and wealth which are blessing from God and the chapter ends with the three words: praise, extol and honor which are active verbs, showing continued action by the king praising and glorifying God long after his restoration. This would not be action of a pagan. I believe redemption was accomplished. - RH
  • As I kept reading and then re- reading his psalm of praise in Daniel 4 , I note he does not ever call God Lord or acknowledge Him as the One and Only God. So Nebuchadnezzar may just have embraced God into the pantheon among his other gods. - AK

If you who contributed were the judges, Nebuchadnezzar, by an overwhelming majority gets a "yes" vote into heaven.

Thanks to all of you Bible scholars! Great job.

1 comment:

CFHusband said...

wouldn't it be nice if we could vote anyone into heaven? :)