Monday, January 28, 2008

A Question of Will: Thin Ice or Firm Foundation?

A few years ago a friend whose son had a very bad type of cancer. The father was a believer and like any father he wanted more than anything else for God to heal his son.

A committed believer and church member, he was also involved in a men’s group where some well meaning Christians convinced him that God wanted to heal all who are sick. Not only that, they encouraged him to “hear” from God about his son. So he prayed.

Now, prayer’s not a bad thing, is it? Of course not. But what is the basis of prayer? Is it our desires or is it God’s will? What did Jesus say in Matthew 6 – what we commonly refer to as “The Lord’s Prayer”. You know that line that says “Thy will be done”?

Yet Jesus also said, “Ask what you want and it will be given to you”, right? So which is it? God’s will or my will? Or can it be both?

As a result of his prayer he was convinced that God told him his son would be healed. And with that thought he became really positive about his son getting better. After all, he believed God had showed him in a dream or something, I guess, that things were going to work out OK and that his son wouldn’t die.

What’s the basis of your faith; your prayers? Is it right to trust your own understanding and hope that your feelings are God given? What if they’re not? Can’t we convince ourselves that God has spoken? That God has revealed something to us? That we’re praying in God’s will when maybe we’re not?

One of the old Gospel songs I grew up with was “Standing on the Promises of God”. You probably remember that song, too. But if not, the words talk about standing on the promises of God that cannot fail.

Paul wrote these words to Titus: “This truth gives them the confidence of eternal life, which God promised them before the world began—and he cannot lie.” He cannot lie means He always is truthful; always faithful to His Word and His promises. And His promises to us are found in His Word.

My friend’s son died. When I heard the news I went to see him and he was crushed. It wasn’t the normal grief a father would have (I’m not sure normal is the right word), it was grief compounded by both the loss of his son and his faith.

The problem my friend had was that his wishful thinking became a substitute for God’s Word in his circumstance. His faith in believing that his son would recover and live wasn’t really faith in God’s Word, it was faith in his own desires; in his own will – not that there was anything evil or wrong with those desires. But apparently his son’s healing was not in the will of God.

I know that there are some who disagree with that last statement. They’ll say, “But when he arrived in heaven he was healed!” But (hypothetically), what if he didn’t get to heaven? Or they’ll argue that “It’s always God’s will for people to be healed.” Then please explain funeral homes to me. We live in an unredeemed body and physical death is a reality. Sorry, death is the result of no healing. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

It was very sad when he asked me why God would go back on His promise. So I explained to him that it couldn’t have been God who spoke to him about his son living, because God is faithful. God never makes a promise He doesn’t keep. God’s Word is as good as gold. You can take it to the bank.

Sometimes I’ve been guilty of doing the same thing as my friend – convincing myself that what I want is what God wants. But that’s thin ice if we’re going to stand strong as men and women of God. The best place – the only sure foundation - for us to stand is on His Word.

Does that mean I shouldn’t pray for God to give me the desires of my heart? No. Of course not. Especially if there is nothing in your desires that violates God’s Word. But sometimes for our good and for the good of the big picture we can’t see, God doesn’t give us what we want. Our understanding is limited. Our desires can be flawed. But His will never is. And if He doesn’t answer your prayer the way you want, don’t get mad. It just means that the way He wants is going to be better somehow in the long run.

22 comments:

Terri and Fam said...

Thanks so much Rick. I will make sure I encouage my fellow blogger friend to check out this post.

NCBeachMom said...

Tahnks for this post....I appreciate it very much as I look at the situation at my church and see God guidance....

NCBeachMom said...

I think I meant...seek Gods guidance, but maybe that was a fraudian slip....I seek his guidance and when things work out in a way that seems "worse" i dont always accept it as His guidance...maybe in all this I really am seeing His guidance, and simply can not understand it all right now...

Coach Prentice said...

Thank you.

Agnes said...

I am reading this , just now, before my time of Bible reading and prayer. I so needed this reminder.It is helping to quiet my fears.

Katelyn said...

Oh my gosh, this post hit the nail on the head and how unexpected it was. I have been asking my parents and friends what the purpose of prayer is and we are all dumbfounded. Where is the line where we ask for what our hearts want and then ask for his will to be completed? You post offered new insight - thank you so much.

Gram said...

but i still can't get my head around jesus saying "ask what you want and it will be given to you."

Kit Trotter said...

Thanks Pastor - These are wise and timely words...

Leslie said...

When I pray for someone or myself, I always say to God "if this is Your will then let it be done and if this isn't Your will, help me to accept it because I know Your plan is best and bigger than me and my wants". I also feel if someone dies that is a Christian, that God didn't ignore the prayers of those asking for that person to be healed or kept alive on earth, but instead rewards healing in the most perfect way, by bringing that person to live with Him. I know this might go against what you are saying, but from my own personal experience with God and death, it is what I feel to be true.
Thank you! God Bless!
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Rick,
WOW. Thank you for giving me a little insight into your belief system on prayer.

This is something I have always struggled with and you are the first person to address it in a way that I understand.

I still have alot of questions to ask God someday!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Happy Gram ... God gave us the WHOLE Bible and I believe we need to study it in its fullness rather than choosing a passage to mean what we desire. In the "ask" passage, Matthew 7:7-9 and the chapters surrounding it, Jesus is teaching, through parables, about heaven and what we need to do to find Him, as well as what a life of faith looks like. He doesn't say "ask for what you want," rather, he says to 'ask, seek, knock and the door will be opened.' I believe this is referring to seeking a relationship with Him: that God is ready and waiting for that relationship and all we have to do is open the door of our hearts. After all, the parables were God's way of teaching a spiritual truth in ways we humans could understand. I'm no Bible scholar, just trying to catch up on all those years that I didn't "get" what God was ready to show me if I would just be open. ie, if I would just "ask, seek and knock."
Rick, praying for Tricia, Gwyneth, Nate, Agnes and all of you....that God would strengthen for the road ahead.

TerryKM said...

I needed to hear that. Thank you.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Let me address Leslie's comment.
No, I don't believe that the death of a Christian is the "ultimate healing". Here's why.

It's our physical body that is sick/maimed and needs healing. But if that doesn't happen, the physical body dies.

The spirit goes on to heaven. And it goes there because it had been redeemed (or "healed" if you prefer)by Christ upon belief. It didn't need healing, just relocation.

One day the body will join the spirit, but that won't be a "healing" either. It will be a resurrection - transforming what was dead into being alive.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Well spoken!

Leslie said...

What if the person isn't physically sick but is mentally ill? Just wondering.

Leslie said...

Just to clarify - I don't mean healing in a the way of physically healing the body, rather a healing of all the emotional pain and anguish that comes with it. I guess what I'm saying is maybe God brings mercy to those who have been suffering long and hard by taking them to Him. I'm definitely not an expert so help me (please)!:-)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Not sure I understand your question, Leslie, as it relates to healing and death.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Then, Leslie, you're not disagreeing with me at all.

Heaven means no more pain and no more tears. So certainly, whatever emotional anguish a Christian might suffer prior to death is immediately eradicated when the body dies and the spirit is with the Lord.

Anonymous said...

And I pray constantly that God will grant you, your family and Tricia's family, the desires of your hearts where it concerns the health and healing of your precious girls, Gwyneth and Tricia. And the big picture, only the Lord knows, but it's amazing what He has shown us so far. Thank you for your post.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Most excellent posting. I know this event has brought on many questions about prayer. How does it work exactly? If God has a plan then why pray? I'm sure the questions about prayer could be quite long.
I'm going to point some in the direction of this post.

Scott said...

Great post with some really needed stuff Rick. Lord bless you.

CJolly said...

Good post Rick. When I pray I think of Jesus in the garden. God, I know what I want, You know what I want. But what is it that You want for me?
I do think we are on thin ice when we assume that our desires are the same as God's will for our lives.