Saturday, January 12, 2008

If I seem distant...I'm processing

After a good part of the last two weeks away from home and my office I'm back. It's a new office and I'm still organizing it. As I look around there are pictures to be hung, a book case to assemble, a desk that's becoming invisible due to the growing clutter.

I did check through my mail and listen to my messages. Eventually I'll get to them. One day the office will be set up and my desk better organized. But not today.

I shepherd a flock of believers along with 4 other guys, and my particular role is to lead the leaders and be the primary teacher of the congregation. Like it or not, right or wrong, they look to me to point the way and take the first steps in getting there.

With what I've experienced and witnessed via my family, friends and so many who have partnered with us from around the world, I've been overwhelmed. Now that I've been able to step away a little, I can begin to allow the Holy Spirit to help me process it all - if that's possible.

So please forgive me if you meet me or talk to me and I seem to have a far-away look in my eyes. I'm not a mystic kind of person, but my heart and mind are full of things way bigger than me and I'm trying to tie it all together and get a handle on it. If I tear up when you ask about Tricia, Gwyneth and Nathan, please be patient with me. It's not so much emotion as it is wonder and amazement at the God who is orchestrating this symphony and choreographing this dance.

So I need to process it all as best I can. There's a life song here to be sung out loud, and I sure want to be part of the choir and get it right.

10 comments:

Kevin said...

I am praying for you and your family Rick! God is good!

marcia said...

Ah....but your entire family HAS been getting it right. And the beautiful song is reverberating around the world in waves that must just be absolutely beyond what you could ever have imagined or thought! Thank you so very much for opening the most challenging times of your lives and the innermost parts of your hearts for the scrutiny...and benefit...of a world that may be seeing the Living God for the very first time. My prayers are now extending beyond those for your family members, to include Christians everywhere who will have the privilege of discipling those who come to Christ as a result of Tricia and Gwyneth's stories being shared so publicly by your family. Thank you is so inadequate....but thank you!

Scott said...

Rick,

I'm in training for another half marathon and I just ran 16 miles. During my run I was thinking about how impossible running 16 miles seemed to me when I started running years ago with my first 1/2 mile run. It hit me that your families response to this situation could not have been near as positive without the years of training, trusting and living for God. He has you guys prepared as choice vessels for the world to observe what He is like through all of you. I'm telling you it is powerful and amazing from my perspective! I hear beautiful songs of praise from all of you! I'd love to be at NHC tomorrow!!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Scott,
If you start running now, you might be able to make it for the 11:00 gathering!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Rick,
I know the feeling. Wednesday was really blurry if that makes sense.
The last time I felt this way was when we went to the hospital for Ty's birth and bringing him home.
I think the processing might take some time.
Enjoy your mail! It was getting pretty tight in your mail slot.

Andy

Karen said...

Now I have to read all about your life everyday. Your family is addictive! LORD bless you, We are praying for little things, like book case assembly. Amen

Unknown said...

I just wanted your family to know that I have been praying for Trisha and Gwyneth all of the time as well, which is definitely a not normal for me. You see I have/had given up for lack of a better phrase on the power of prayer. But by following their story has reminded me how precious life and prayer are. I would pray if the need felt strong between giving "up" and now, but driving to south Georgia today I found the need to pray and think about them was overpowering. I want to thank you and your family for reminding me about the power of prayer.

Donna said...

I need a camera, what kind is Nathan's? Praying for your family in Bama.

Jeffery Russell said...

We've been following the news closely thanks to the marvels of the internet. Just wanted you to know of our prayers for your whole family, for baby Gwenneth, Tricia, Nathan- you and your wife- everyone. In fact, for our sanctity of life Sunday this week end I am featuring your situation for the service, including a photo powerpoint, so that we can all pray as a church- intelligently for them. Hopefully it will yield more dividends than just prayer. Thanks for your updates. I know I would have to climb into your chest to feel the pain and anquish you must have in your heart, but we will be here for you across the Albemarle Sound. God bless you all!

Your Servant in Christ,

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I don't know any of you, but a friend sent me a prayer request for your family and now I am officially "hooked". I can't hardly wait to get to the computer so I can check on Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth. You all are in my prayers everyday. I know God is doing great things