Thursday, January 10, 2008

The first touch

Last night Nathan and our friend Paul Lawler were in Gwyneth's room when test results came back showing that she was virus free. That meant they could take off the latex gloves and reach into her controlled environment and touch her, which of course, Nathan did!

He came back into the waiting room, where Gail, Brenda Lawler and I were sitting and once again broke into tears. "I got to touch her".

Then he said something I'll never forget to Gail and I. "Do you want to go in to see her and touch her, too?" Duh. We jumped up, did the scrub thing, put on the gowns and touched her little back and arms. We can't pick her up yet, but this was so cool.

I've just looked at Nathan's pictures on his blog site. As good as they are, you just had to be there. And I was!

PS Please take a few minutes and read Tricia's sisters' accounts of Tuesday's events. Their blogs are here and here. I promise it's worth the read.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Rick,

I had tears rolling down my cheeks reading your post. The picture of the little hand holding the finger is priceless! Lord bless you as you are stretched. I always felt you are a great pastor, I have a feeling you'll be even more compassionate than ever.

Scott

Rick Lawrenson said...

Thanks Scott.
I can always use a little more compassion!

Andy Lawrenson said...

You know I'm blubbering!

Anonymous said...

"The first touch" I got to touch your precious little one Saturday. There are just no words to describe it. I can only imagine Nathan's feeling that 1st time and your's and Gail's. My heart goes out to all of you, not in a sorrowful or sad way, but joyful. God has so richly blessed you and is blessing all of us thru this. Just want you to know your "favorite sister" loves you and is praying all the time. I enjoy sharing the story, photos, blog, and yes, the diaper, with everyone that comes in to my office at work. I tell them I am going to show them a miracle! Our office has the blog on all day, one of us is constantly checking for updates. May God continue his blessings and give all of you the rest you need.