Monday, December 17, 2007

I ran the race

Saturday morning with cold temps in the 40's and a stiff breeze, I ran my first ever distance run. It was the Jingle Bell 5K in Nags Head. Why I did this, I'm not really certain, other than the fact that I got a bit inspired watching the marathon back in November.

My training regimen included 5 runs over two weeks, most of them on the treadmill at the Y. I set a goal of a finish time between 30 and 33 minutes. With my Santa cap on my head, I started at the rear of the pack. It was comforting to see the ambulance standing by at the finish line.

I made the half-way point at 11:19 which amazed me. But it went much slower after that. The hardness of the pavement wasn't something I was used to and my shins tightened up, making me stop and walk three times for a minute or two each time. Everything else, including my lungs felt great. But below the knees I was hurting.

They've got a run planned for New Year's Eve at 10PM. Maybe.

Oh yeah, I barely met my goal with a time of 32:31. Next time will be better.
Gotta go. I've got a racquetball appointment.

4 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

You are like that Jack LaLane dude! Next you will be making videos and infomercials on the benefits of a juicer

ladybug said...

Run, Rick, run!!!!

CFHusband said...

Found some video of you in the race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flyc4YUum7E

Rick Lawrenson said...

I wish I had that much enthusiasm!