Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve Communion

Since 1992 we've had a communion gathering on Christmas Eve. It's become one of our favorite traditions.

Tonight we were somewhat overwhelmed by the turnout. Our guys were scrambling, both to set up an additional 50 chairs and get another tray of communion cups filled. A good third of the crowd were guests and probably half of them from out of town. We did very little advertising, so I really was surprised. There were so many people I had never seen before.

Who knows how many heard a clear explanation of the Gospel for the first time tonight? I don't. But I suspect many did. It's a great way to introduce both the Gospel and the church to the twice a year crowd.

Next year we'll hopefully be better prepared!

6 comments:

CJolly said...

I was a surpising turnout! And the guys did a great job of catching up on the fly!
Bonnie and Rachel did a wonderful job too.
You too!
It was a really nice night.

Rick Lawrenson said...

According to Tom's blog there were 240 people in there, and we had chairs set up for 160 (my call)! "O ye of little faith".

There was some discussion as to whether or not we should continue the Christmas Eve gathering. I guess Monday night's response answered it for us.

It's an open door to the church and to hear the Gospel for many who otherwise do not have a relationship with either the church or Christ.

CFHusband said...

yeah...I'm very surprised by the turnout.

ladybug said...

I saw a couple at church that volunteer at the hospital - they were there with their whole family - yesterday when I saw them at work they were very eager to tell me that they most enjoyed our service and would be coming back again. They also said that they were thrilled to see so many friendly faces (mine included)in such a large crowd. I personally was not surprised to see so many - it just goes to show you what can happen when we are reaching out to our community as we have been commanded - Praise God for His word and for a church that is committed -

Rick Lawrenson said...

That's cool.
There was a also a lady there whose daughter is a doc at the ER.

And that's the primaary purpose of our having that gathering. People who won't for whatever reason come on a Sunday will come on Christmas Eve (or Easter). Get them in the door once and you have a better chance of seeing them come back.

CFHusband said...

I feel like Jonah...