Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Flashback

I was right.
Today started at 6AM with the OBX Marathon - it was a great way to reach out to our community and we had a blast doing it - and I got home to stay at 10:00, only to have to finish my stuff for First Appointment, which is at 6AM tomorrow!

Because of the marathon we only did one worship gathering. The race's course goes right down our street, making getting to church early almost impossible due to the 4,000 runners. We began with a couple of great songs, then showed a video reminding us to pray for our military personnel. I asked all the vets to stand and as they stood the church gave them a real ovation.

I should also mention that yesterday was the birthday of the USMC. Having given the first 17 years of my life to the Corps, I feel an affinity for them, though I never wore the uniform. Ooorah.

Before my message we did a video interview with two of our oldest members, George R. and Marilyn D., asking them about the changes they've seen over the years in the church and their reaction to them. It hammered home the point of what I then taught: our methods change constantly but our message can't.

A third animated clip Nate found illustrated the highlights of the Bible in about 2 minutes. Very cool. And two trusted Christ today. Even cooler.

Every week I'm repeatedly amazed and thankful for the team of volunteers who make Sunday's so special at NHC.

There was a group from out of town today on a marriage retreat. In their words, they're from a church "with 200 years of history unimpeded by progress". So when they gathered up front for a group photo, I suggested they all get up on the platform and each one either strap on a guitar, sit at the drums or grab a mic for the picture. Mind you, they weren't gen Xers. They had a blast pretending they were rock stars! I think they found out church can also be fun.

I'm even glad I spent most of the afternoon at my mother-in-law's new digs, moving furniture, etc. Her TV wasn't hooked up yet, so I didn't have to suffer through another disappointment from the Redskins.

No comments: