Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday flashback


Today was the start of a new teaching series on spiritual warfare and the protective armor God has provided every believer. I'm really looking forward to it. Today I introduced the series by putting on my bunker gear (firefighter's protective gear) and giving a description of it piece by piece.
We had a guest worship leader today, filling in for Chad, who has done a great job filling in for Nathan. Robbie is Rich's friend at LU, a guitar player with a great voice and passion for leading worship. He stepped right in and did great, working with our band w/o skipping a beat.
It was good to see Agnes, Tricia's mom back with Don at church today. She's been away at Duke since the first of the year. I also met Patrick and Lynn today. Patrick's dad and my dad were best friends growing up, best men in each other's weddings and went in the the USMC together. Last time Patrick and I saw each other was over 40 years ago. I look about the same, but he has changed a lot!
After the worship gatherings there was still a lot of activity going on. The Call team worked at getting the auditorium ready for next weekend's youth conference. And our elders interviewed 8 new members. We all ate pizza together (about 30 of us) and had a great time.
It's a windy day here, and temp's supposed to drop significantly over night. With Gail in Durham, I'll be sure to turn on my side of the electric blanket. But first, I'm going over to Andy's for dinner!

7 comments:

Coach Prentice said...

I think your bunker gear link is broken. Yay for Mom getting back to church! Wow...eight new members. God is really working in the OBX!

Andy Lawrenson said...

I enjoyed having Robbie there yesterday. He did jump right in and fit right in. Of course with a percussion section like we have who wouldn't sound good?
Ain't that right Chris?

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Good preaching Rick. It was very thought provking. I hope you post some of next Sunday's as I will be down South and hope to follow up on here with the next part.

CJolly said...

Amen to that Andy! Robbie did seem to tap into the energy of the percussion section didn't he? Now if we could get ...more cowbell!!
And Rick, in your excellent message on Sunday, you mentioned having a love and passion for your ministry...Andy and I kind of like what we do. It's surely a gift from God, it serves the body, and once in a while we even have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

I am friends with some members of your chuch and will be visiting your church, with my family, this Sunday. I am really looking forward to it, God is moving in our lives and we are trying desperately to go where He leads.

Anonymous said...

I was down from Ivy Memorial Baptist Church in Hampton, VA this weekend leading a retreat for 2 young ladies that I will be mentoring/discipling. We were supposed to be down the weekend before but were prevented due to some obligations that came up for me at the church...I am Minister of Music there. God had much more in store for us this weekend. As the three of us walked in the praise band was playing and I can't begin to tell you how excited I was...it's not often I get to just sit in a congregation and worship. The message however had me almost in tears as I listened to God speak through you the very things we had been talking about in our activites and talks over the weekend. As we went to the car, I said, "Ladies, do you realize what just happened? God just put the exclamation mark on our weekend." Thank you and may God bless your ministry. We will be back!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Thanks Terry and Kathi!