Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Hard Day's Night

After visiting in Durham yesterday with Tricia, Gwyneth, Nathan and Agnes at Duke Hospital I spent the night at our family's second home - The Residence Inn Marriot. Nate's alarm went off at 4AM. It woke me, but not him. So I roused him up and a little before 5:00 I was standing in line at Continental Airlines to get my boarding pass for my flight to Orange Co., CA, with a stop in Houston.

I was shocked at how many people were up that early to catch that flight. Seated beside me was Robin. We chatted the usual stuff - where are you from, what do you do? When I explained that I was flying out of RDU because I had been visiting my daughter in law and grandaughter at Duke Hospital that brought out her questions. So I brought out my lap top.

I've officially become a grandfather. Robin was moved by the pics to tears several times and called what she was seeing "a miracle". She's right. And pray for Robin. Next week she's having surgery. She's got the big C. But doctors are optimistic.

What should have been an hour layover in Houston turned out to be nearly 3. I don't know what it is about Continental, but every time I fly with them it turns out to be an adventure of some kind. So I used the time to work a bit more on my sermon for tomorrow's memorial service [see my earlier post about tamales in heaven].

I did get some cat naps in on the flight from Houston to the OC, but not any real serious sleep. My friends Richard and Carol were there to pick me up. After an afternoon and evening with them and their family and pastor I'm in my motel room at 8PM PST to wrap up my thoughts for tomorrow and to get some good sleep.

The problem for me with these jaunts to the left coast is that it takes me 3 days to get adjusted to the time difference. And in 3 days I'll be returning home. So I'll be goofier than usual for the next week I guess.

Tomorrow's a big day for people who outside of my family are among the most important in my life. I also hope it's a huge day for Tricia with the best news ever.

Good night!

11 comments:

CFHusband said...

glad you made it OK. I actually woke up with the alarm, but reset it for 4:45 cause that sleeping med you gave me was in full effect...

marcia said...

Just tacked a P.S. for peaceful sleep for you, as well, unto my prayer for Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth. And I will also be praying for you later today as you honor the friend you loved so much. May everyone who comes to celebrate her life be able to see her hope and her Jesus in you and the words God gives you to speak! May laughter mingle with your tears, as you share sweet times of remembering with her family and friends. And, also, Lord, while you are at it, would it be possible for this day to also be remembered as the day Tricia was activated on the List?!

A stranger from MI who is continually amazed at what God is doing in and through your whole family!

Unknown said...

I hope your trip is a safe one full of happy memories, and that your friends may enjoy the peace that you bring with you.

If you happen to hit one of the IHops in the resort area (not that I think you would, but just in case). Say Hi to Angela (at the one by the convention center) and/or Miriam (at the one across the street from the entrance to D-land/California Adventure), as that is my Sister-in-law and her sister. :-) When we were in California for the wedding last spring we flew in and out of OC, which is what made me think of it.

Andy Lawrenson said...

No Jack in the Box or In and Out Burgers. They are part of that huge beef recall for millions of pounds of tainted beef. You don't want to fly back with stomach issues. I learned that one the hard way flying back from the Philippines.

Tell the Zs I said hey and am praying for them.

CFHusband said...

was the food every "good" at In and Out...?

Rick Lawrenson said...

I had a good night's sleep (except for the alarm in the next room that went off at 1:25AM)

Don't think I'll make it out to the IHops today, maybe tomorrow. Denny's today.

No fast food on my agenda. And no, I never thought In and Out was that good. But they do have cool tshirts.

Thanks for the prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lawrensons,

I am now a regular lurker on your blogs and wanted to share why I am so drawn in. It is not just because of your brave and strong women (Tricia and the new grandmothers) or your beautiful baby girl. I also see so clearly what the body of Christ in action looks like. I had always thought that the early church in Acts 2 was the ideal to strive for. But when I reread it last night, all I could think of is how much I would dislike it! (Everyone knowing my business, sharing all of my stuff and my money, meeting together every single day, plus interacting with lots of new baby Christians who didn't really understand what was going on yet.) Obviously, God's still working on me in this area. What I see through your blogs is a willingness to be like that early church- sharing openly, gathering together often, not being ashamed to ask for prayer- even when its not always understood- and I admire that. I'm praying for you all.

Ann, Annapolis, Md

Florida_Mom said...

Lifting you up in prayer today. I know the Lord will use you in a great way.

In Christ
Myra

NCBeachMom said...

Just read Nates update! Are you dancing again Pastor??

Kim
Raleigh

Rick Lawrenson said...

Doing the Baptist Boogie again!

Rick Lawrenson said...

The benefits of blogging...

Read Patty's comment above first.

I gotta eat breakfast, and those IHOPs are just 10 minutes away. So we found one of them this morning, and sure enough, it was the one Patty's sister-in-law Angela manages.

I asked our waitress to let her know I would like to meet her. She came to our table, we talked for a few minutes and she bought our breakfast!

Thanks Patty and Angela!