Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Joy of Spontaneity

We don’t do stuffy church anymore. Not that we never did, but Sunday was another indicator that our vision of being a celebratory kind of church was being realized.

Used to be in our church that when someone new joined our fellowship that there would be the obligatory “right hand of fellowship” handshake from the pastor, the “all in favor say Amen” followed by a hearty “Amen”, and that was about it. Simple; clean; almost dignified.

Sunday proved that the mold had been broken and thrown away. As our Pastor of Mission read the names of the newest partners and asked them to stand, each one received a raucous ovation. I even heard some whistles and “WooHoos”. I just sat there with what must have been a grin of “they get it”. And no one said, "Let's give them a cheer or a round of applause" or anything like that. It just erupted. Andy said it was like a pep rally. And why not?

And I thought, "If these newbies don’t realize that they’re in a church that enjoys being together; a church that’s a family; a church that doesn’t know what it means to be religious now, they’ll never figure it out." What a welcome!

As someone said, "The boring slot has already been taken". They can have it (and keep it).

Let the partying continue.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

When on earth are you going to get your own radio talk show? I look so forward to reading what you have to say. I think to myself, "God must be saying 'well done, my good and faithful son'"
Thanks for not only "getting it" but for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

It truly is a blessing to be a part of such a great body of believers!!! And a joy to serve with them for God's glory

Jen said...

You have no idea how often we use Nag's Head Church as an example of what a true body of believers should be about....We are missing y'all every day & praying that when Paul is finished with seminary, God just may lead us back "home"....

TerryKM said...

I hope we begin to transition in similar ways.

Btw, I really love it when you call the new people partners and not members!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Although "members" is a very biblical term. (See 1 Cor. 12.)

Andy Lawrenson said...

I say church should be a pep rally. What does a pep rally do? It peps up the team, it cheers them on.
Lets pep up our team, let's cheer God on!

Right now I'm attempting the splits. Ooh! Didn't happen. :) I'll just stick with spirit fingers.

CJolly said...

How many pastors, preachers, priests,etc. can look out at the congregation on any given Sunday and know that almost everyone is there, not out of a sense of duty or obligation, but because he or she really wants to be there.

I know of five for sure, and they're all ours! Thanks for all you do guys.

Careful Andy!!

Scott said...

WooooHoooo! That is the way it ought to be Rick!!! Lord bless you and NHC!

Apple said...

Rick, I was at your church on Sunday with T and Allison. I wasn't at the 11a service to which you are referring, but I was at the 9a. God has been leading us to your church for some time now, but we have been slow to listen. The fellowship in this church is, I imagine, just as God desires. You DO get it. On the way home, I looked at my husband and said "That wasn't church, that was worship!" Praise God!

Anonymous said...

The caliber of the new "partners" ain't bad either! ;)

A new NHC member!

Anonymous said...

"When people find a church where members genuinely love and care for each other, you would have to lock the doors to keep them away." (Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life) Thanks to God and the leadership of our elders, we are becoming that kind of church.

Anonymous said...

I sure wish there were a directory of churches like yours! I for one would love to find one. Instead, I seem to be one of many occupying that "boring" slot.

Rick Lawrenson said...

If you'll go to our church's web site (linked on my blog) you'll find our email address.

Email me and let's see what I can do to help you find a church in your area.

No guarantees, but I'll try.

Burnie said...

Church at NHC is fun AND exciting! God continues to amaze us at the things He is doing in and through us!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Applepiemom hit the nail on the head. It is worship, we are the church, we don't go to church, we are the church, when the church comes together we do so to worship. And ain't it fun! Who made the rule that worship shouldn't be fun?