Friday, February 1, 2008

Let's quit our bellyaching

In recent days many of us have seen God turn life and death crises into miracles. Others in my church have witnessed life as it is for most of the world outside our land of plenty. They've been humbled by people who in comparison have next to nothing materially live with appreciation for what little they do have and joy in spite of their poverty.

God uses experiences like that to wake and shake us who have so much, yet whine about it anyway. We in the US are simply spoiled rotten. Thankfully He graces us by placing us in contact with people who have strength and courage that makes us realize how petty and shallow we can be and too often are.

I'm thinking of people like my dear friends Tom and Sandra and their daughter Cindy. She was born with spina bifida. Several times in her 26 years her condition has placed her in life and death situations. Yet I have never ever heard a complaint or whine from any of them. But let me catch a cold or strain a muscle in my back and I'm out of sorts. Like I deserve perfect health or something.

Tommy and Claire are another couple whose lives speak volumes to those of us who gripe. He's suffered for years with a debilitating back injury, numerous surgeries and more recently pancreatitis that's hospitalized him more than once. She just completed a long series of radiation treatments, having to travel over an hour each way every day for weeks and dealing with the pain those treatments cause. Now she's looking at surgery to remove a tumor the radiation didn't get, to be followed by chemo. Yet they shine with the joy of God.

God help me from whining and getting irritated when something doesn't go just quite like I want it to go. God help me from demanding You do something about my inconveniences, like when my internet connection is slower than it should be or my cable reception is snowy or some other minutia that sets my orbit out of kilter.

God help me to remember I'm not the center of the universe. So what gives any of us the right to complain one iota if He or his don't treat me like I think I deserve to be treated? In fact, that He would even pay attention to me at all should be all the grace needed to rise above the stupid little things that get my shorts in a bunch.

9 comments:

NCBeachMom said...

Great reminders!

Hey, are you dancing today??? Just read Nates update 2....

WooHoo!

Kim
Raleigh

Robin said...

Great post! Lessons we all need to learn!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for praying for Daniel. He is out of surgery now - check my blog for updates.

www.actionsspeakloudest.blogspot.com

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CJolly said...

Amen!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Another great post from the heart. May we all strive daily to focus less on ourselves and much more on others, who are going through trials. We can always encourage and support those in need, and prayer doesn't cost a dime or force us to leave home.

Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reminder! i also know of a boy who had a brain tumor when he was 8 and then developed cancer. he fought it for 5 years and never complained once. Timothy was an amazing christian and he has encouraged me in my walk of faith. Today Feb. 2 is exactly one year from the day Timothy died. We miss you Tim.

Leslie said...

I agree with you absolutely! We are so spoiled and usually do not give it a moments thought when complaining about the smallest things. I try to remind myself how blessed I am when I want to grumble about my trivial problems. They're are so many others who have it much worse! It usually works but I'm not perfect and sometimes cave and whine away. Thanks for the reminder that I need to zip it and pray for those that are less fornuate.
Great post!
Praying Tricia's transplant comes soon and praising God Gwyneth is doing so well!
Love, Leslie

Kit Trotter said...

Whoof - what a great reminder to focus on the good things! Thanks for the "gut check"!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've been whinning lately, with Wayne working out of town.  Needed to read that!  Kerstin