Friday, June 29, 2007

They Like Jesus But Not the Church

I'm reading Dan Kimball's book by the same title. He was one of the speakers at the Willow conference I attended two weeks ago. Dan asked unchurched, non-Christian young adults "What do you think of Jesus?", and (surprisingly to most of us) got very postive responses. However, to his question, "What do you think of Christians?" the response was vastly different.

The book is about being "missional" and intentional about reaching the "emerging generations" (I'm still getting used to both of those terms), and, as you might expect, very thought provoking. Since I'm early into the book I can't give a critique overall. But his synopsis of what happens to believers and how they eventually move totally into a Christian sub-culture and have no contact with the non-Christian world is dead on. The last step of 4 is becoming Jonah.

I'll probably post more about it as I progress through the book.

Kimball's writing style is good for me. Now if I could convince him to do something different with his chosen hair cut! Think "Johnny Bravo".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lurk..... I am a lurker.

Anonymous said...

oops..

that was an old post i put on a friends blog.

i meant to say that you should have said, Johnny Bravo has aDan Kimball haircut, not visa versa. he got his hair style from me. :)

CFHusband said...

How'd Dan Kimball find you so fast?!?

Anyway, since youre already reading on this subject, you should take a look at "The Present Future" (yeah, that book I've been telling you you need to read for the past 3 years)...similar thoughts coming from a different mind.

And, stop making fun of Dan's hair...you're just envyous....

Rick Lawrenson said...

I've started The Present Future (months ago). I just put it down. After I finish Dan's (the lurker)book I'll get right into it.

It's envious. You must have been homeschooled. And I'm progressing to Dan's haircut. It's just that using up a half a bottle of gel every day seems a bit extravagant.