Wednesday, July 4, 2007

God Bless America

Here I sit on a holiday in the middle of the week in an air-conditioned coffee shop playing oldies via satellite radio enjoying a big cup of decaf and checking emails on a lap top provided me by my employer. I just finished 3 games of raquetball and am headed out to the beach for the afternoon. Tonight I'll enjoy a cook out with my family, then watch an awesome fireworks display provided by my town. I'll go home and to bed without fear of danger or attack.

Having been to other countries, I'm not ignorant of the fact that we live privileged lives as Americans. Despite our flaws and shortcomings, this is still the greatest nation on earth. And today is our national birthday.

Let's pause for a moment and give thanks for the heritage we possess and give up prayers for our sons and daughters half a world away fighting for others to have the same freedoms we enjoy (and take for granted). May our flag wave freely for generations to come.

By the way, where are all the flags we used to see after 9-11?

No comments: