Sunday, July 29, 2007

Feeling like a bonehead

An old song (before my days) said, "You only hurt the ones you love". How true.

Today I did just that. Hurt people I love. It wasn't premeditated. It certainly wasn't intentional. But it was careless; it was dumb and came across as caring less. And that's what made it painful to others. Now I'm left with embarrassment and shame, hoping their hurt doesn't leave a permanent scar on them our on our relationship.

I find myself standing in the middle of Romans 7 where Paul used his own struggles as a model for the rest of us. There he confronted the battle between natures - God's and our own - in allowing the Spirit of God to overcome the weaknesses of the human spirit. Why is it that we know better but still mess up?

He used the word "wretched". I know what he meant.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Hey,PR: Are you saying that after all these years, with all the work in ministry and missions that God has allowed you to be responsible for, you're still building a testimony, just like the rest of us?? Oh wait, you're still alive, so... yeah, I guess you are!
I happen to know most of the people you love best in this world, so I feel safe in saying, "Aren't we glad they know forgiveness and love you and love Christ as you do?" How sad it is for people in families who don't get that. I'm so sorry for your hurt and for whoever you hurt. But they know your heart, and already knew you were sorry even before you blogged. I promise.

Aggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.