Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More about the conference at Willow Creek

This is my first trip to Willow Creek Community Church for anything. I first heard about their pastor, Bill Hybels way back in the late 70's when he was doing an innovative youth ministry at another church.

The campus is monstrous, unlike any church facility I have ever seen, and I've seen some of the big ones. It's all done with excellence.

The morning started off with David Crowder leading worship. After a very cool and bluegrass (!) rendition of "I Saw the Light", I informed Nate and Burnie that I have a banjo, and can play anything in the key of G. They didn't seem impressed. Later Aaron Niequist later led a moving and contemporary rendition of "This Is My Father's World". I expect we'll be singing that soon at NHC!

The speakers today did a great job of getting our creative juices flowing, while making us confront the need for worship to be missional.

After the sessions were over we took a tour of the campus. The lady who led our group was old enough to be my mom and was so animated in her speaking that she made me tired! But it was so cool to hear a senior, who at her own admission doesn't always understand the "whys" of how church is done at Willow Creek, talk so enthusiastically about what God has done and continues to do through her church. She's a credit to her generation for being able to catch the vision and that it's not about "me". Go Granny.

Then we met friends Bob and Carla Crane and their daughter Haley for Chicago style pizza at Giordana's. Thanks Bob for dinner!

We also were able to spend a few minutes with another friend, Paul Joseph from Dalton, GA. He's a brave man, attending the conference with 5 women! I told him he was welcome to hang out with us if he needed a break. He said that while we were at Wrigley Field Tuesday night watching the game, he was at Target with the girls. Crowns in heaven for that man!

No comments: