Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Vintage



A new worship gathering was launched last night at our church intentionally targeting the emerging generation. This began as a dream a year ago, fueled by the desire to reach out to a growing population here (more so in the summer months) of young adults.

I'm a baby boomer. Consequently the amazing growth in our church has been mostly due to the attractiveness of our worship style, teaching, programs for youth and children and facilities. Our "contemporary" church hits a home run with my generation.

But my generation is growing older and the fact is that the church in general is not cutting it in reaching out to generation X. The culture they've grown up in isn't the America of our fathers. So their opinions of the church and "Christianity" are different. Yet they can be and must be reached with the ancient message in a relevant fashion.

That they've asked me to be the primary teacher in this gathering just underscores the name Vintage! But last night we started with 25 young adults. Free pizza! Our band covered songs by Switchfoot, Delirious? and The Foo Fighters. (Don't ask me. But the songs were great!) We looked at Daniel 1 and talked about the tension between God being fair or God being just. Our theme in Daniel is "Heroes". Here's the video we produced and used last night.

We're looking for God to do something new and great.

Today I'm shopping for a pair of crocs and camo shorts. Just trying to be relevant.

4 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

Perhaps a pair of Audios or Reefs.

Rick Lawrenson said...

I got the camo shorts, but chose a new pair of flip flops instead of crocs.

Unknown said...

Hey brother.

You better not let the fellows over at p.com hear you talking about doing all this "emergent" stuff. ;-)

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hey Bill,
I'm not too worried about what others think, although I'm sure criticism will come. Maybe even form our "contemporary church" culture (that is growing older rapidly).

But, may I point out that nowhere in that post did I use the word "emergent". I did use the word "emerging", referring to the generation of young adults.

Mark Driscoll does a great job explaining the difference in a video on Youtube I watched today.