Friday, June 1, 2007

Nearsighted vision

Leaders are supposed to be visionaries, having the ability to see ahead of where they're leading whoever is following. We're learning at Nags Head Church the necessity of being sensitive to God's direction and the realization that because God wants to reach people, He wants to lead us to reach them in their context and culture. That just means "where they are".

It's sad that those who criticize churches which are focusing on being culturally relevant are usually the ones who sing "Just as I am" a bunch of times at the close of their sermons. But in reality, they don't want to reach out to "normal people" just as they are. After all, "just as they are" is really different than us, right?

In the last two days God has brought me face to face, literally, with a couple of people who have said to me, "I hate my life. I've got to change." With both of them the "demon" (and I use that word figuratively) in their lives is alcohol, and they're sick of it (literally and figuratively).

When God brings hurting people to you like that, is He trying to say something? It's no secret that addicted men and women abound on this sand bar. Our culture attracts them. What I'm "hearing" God say (as He got in my face through these two) was that there is a hurting sub-culture here that needs to be set free. They both told me as much. They're reaching out for help.

Somehow we have to respond. I'm praying for a way to reach them through our church. And let's be honest, many of them are secretly sitting in our services each Sunday, on the outside trying to look OK but on the inside hating life.

It's right before my eyes. If I don't see it I'm blind. If I see it and don't do anything about it I'm a failure.

No comments: