Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Time passages

It's the day after Memorial Day and I just realized that I'm beginning my 22nd year here on the Outer Banks of NC. Memorial Day 1986 I moved down from Portsmouth, VA to begin a new church. My wife and kids were able to join me on July 4th.

I could go on and on about those days, but won't. Be glad. The church, Seashore Baptist Church was launched soon after and looked promising. Unfortunately I was naive about the wiles of disgruntled former church members looking for something new but bringing their old wineskins along with them, and within six months I walked away from the plant. Suffice it to say that the most vocal among the members wanted a church that looked nothing like my vision. Do the words "democracy" and "KJV" tell you anything?

(What remained of that church lingered and dwindled for another 5 years before cashing it in.)

But God brought me here for a purpose that wouldn't be realized for several years after a time of testing and maturing. Now I can't hardly imagine calling anywhere else "home". My kids have grown up here. Everywhere I turn I meet someone I know. Since 1991 I've been privileged to pastor a thriving church with vision for the future. And after growing up in a military family where moves were regular (I attended 3 high schools in 4 years), living in one community for 21 years gives me a sense of living the American dream and having put down roots.

This is still where God wants me. He continues to have a purpose here for my life.

Now, if I could only muster up the courage to try out that surf board...

No comments: