Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Can you hear Him now?


One of our guests Sunday wrote this comment on a Communication Card: "God speaks in still small voice - whispers. NOT LOUD, NOISY".

My guess is that this couple (in their 80's!) weren't used to the amplified music and style of our worship. To them, God can't be in something so "loud and noisy".

All of us imagine God speaking to us in tones we prefer, myself included. But I use the word "imagine" intentionally, because that's what it is - our imagination. If we think God only has one volume level then we've put God in a box of our own design. We've become the creator and limited Him to do only what we can conceive.

But that's my spin. What does the Bible say? That's really what counts, isn't it?

Indeed, God spoke to Elijah in a "still small voice". (1 Kings 19:12-13). But He also spoke audibly on Palm Sunday in reply to Jesus request that the Father's name be glorified. In fact, His voice sounded to some like "thunder". (John 12:28-29). When He uttered the Ten Commandments (Deuteronomy 5:22) and wrote them on the tablets He did so in a "loud voice". He spoke to Ezekiel (Ezekiel 9:1) in a "loud voice". To John the revelator, Jesus identified Himself in a "loud voice" (Revelation 1:10).

In fact, just do a study in your concordance with the phrase "loud voice" and you'll find that God tends to speak more often with the volume at a ten than at a one. Sure, I prefer someone, including God, to speak to me in soft tones. But I don't think I'm going to tell God to turn it down on my behalf because of what I prefer.

Don't box God in a package. He does what He wants, whether we like it or not. Still small whisper or thunderous boom, it's His voice and His choice.

(I think He's often loud because we're too often listening to everything else and He wants our attention.)
And I've already read some minds here. Yeah, probably what that couple meant was "Music in church that's loud doesn't lend to worship". I'll go there in a future ramble. But be warned: I'm going to use the Bible again.

2 comments:

TerryKM said...

I would be shot, hung, and then fired if I ever said such a thing. . .but I completely agree!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Let the Bible speak for God, not someone's tradition or preference.