Friday, July 31, 2009

1966

It was on this day, July 31, 43 years ago that I confessed Christ to be my Savior. As I look back I think I had already believed that He was a week or two earlier, so I can't really say that this is my spiritual birthday. But that doesn't matter.

What matters is that I was fortunate enough to have someone (actually it was several people in my life at that time) explain in a way a ten year old boy could understand that I needed Jesus as my Savior to have everlasting life. Up to that point in life I was aware of Christianity in the sense that I believed God existed; that Jesus was His Son who lived, died and rose from the dead; that there was an eternity, etc.

But until I was ten no one had really explained to me that knowing facts about God and spiritual things wasn't enough. I had to make Him my God by believing - having complete faith and trust in His provision - in order to be one of His everlasting famly.

So thanks to the man who was my Sunday School teacher at the little Bible Baptist Church in Jacksonville, NC. I don't remember your name, but you taught the Bible in a way I could grasp it. And thanks to the pastor of that church, Walter Kirk for making sure I heard it from him, too in plain talk. I told Pastor Kirk that day, "I want to be saved". It's so gracious of God to not make it complicated.

Having Christ become my Savior at such a young age no doubt helped to spare me from who knows what I could have experienced in the years to follow. It really was a life-changing moment. And hanging my eternity on God's promise is one reason I am so excited to be part of a church that is overflowing with young families and children.

For of such is the kingdom of heaven!

2 comments:

Rebecca Meyers said...

Happy Re-birthday!

IonizeNow said...

Great testimony Rick !!