Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Rachel!


I was expecting a boy. Your mom was putting out hints that made me think that way, even though she knew you were a girl. I didn't want to know in advance. It ain't natural.

About 2 weeks late and with a shock of black hair you emerged on the night of a hurricane. G-L-O-R-I-A. (Ask an old person.) And you were easily the biggest baby in the Portsmouth General nursery. 9lb. 14.5 oz. Almost a toddler.

And now you're going to be a mom yourself.

Happy Birthday baby girl. Feliz cumpleanos a ti. (Sorry, I don't have Spanish keys on my lap top.)
Arrrrgh.

6 comments:

Tammy C said...

I remember Gloria very well.I was visiting my family in Rhode Island during the week the hurricane hit.

I was a newlywed -maaried at 26 waiting to go to Iceland with my husband .We spent our first 2 years of maariage in ICeland when he was in the Air Force.

By the way I can hear the song Gloria in my head!

My2Girls said...

I too remember GLORIA. My family hunkered down here in VA BEACH in 1985. I was 9 years old. I remember it being more "FUN" than anything else, because we hunkered down with some other families (friends from church) and all of the kiddos got to sleep in sleeping bags on the floor. It was "exciting" and "fun" but a little bit scary. I do remember the winds howling and being a bit afraid of the loud noises outside.

peanut580 said...

Thanks Dad!

Andy Lawrenson said...

I don't remember Gloria because I was on Maui. I do remember the news of Rachel's birth.

She was huge!

Megan and Company said...

Oh my gracious! I just had an "I'm getting older" moment. I remember GLORIA, too! However, I remember it because I had off of school for a "hurricane day". I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I suppose I'm not that "older".

Happy Birthday, Rachel and a HUGE congratulations!! I'd bet this will be your coolest year yet!

Rosi said...

Difference between a California Girl and someone who lives on the East Coast? I immediately thought of the old song GLORIA and figured Rachel must have been born just past midnight or something....

Congrats on another grandchild!!! How exciting ... I am only a little jealous, but surely my day will come.
:D