Monday, August 20, 2007

A trash can at the front door

[The discerning have noted that recent posts have indicated that I've been miffed recently with a trouble spot in our church. ( See "Faithful Shepherds") We're dealing with it and expect to move beyond it soon.]

Yesterday I came to church struggling with anger over things I've discovered in the past two weeks. I'm a shepherd by calling, and as such have learned to be defensive and protective of the sheep in our care. Thus, when I sense that the sheep are in danger, I get angry. "Not on my watch!"

I made it through the first gathering OK. No real distractions. But in the second gathering I realized (thank You Holy Spirit) as we were singing, "Holy, holy, holy, is our Lord God almighty; the One who is and is to come", that while I could sing the words and appreciate their meaning, the anger I brought in with me was blocking my ability to worship God with my heart.

With that awakening, I was able to lift my hands and truly declare to God His holiness and sovereignty and eternal glory. An amazing thing happened. My eyes became wet with tears as I realized that my worship was replacing my anger. Soon, I was saying, "Lord, I'll let you have the anger". And He took my burden and gave me rest in my spirit.

Worship can't co-exist when in my heart I'm harboring anger, even when I believe the indignation to be righteous, because it (the anger) is filling my mind instead of the glory of God. Worship happens when I put away all the clutter and give my total being over to praising and glorifying Him.

Maybe we need to have a big trash container outside the church door for us to dump the clutter in as we enter.

1 comment:

Aggie said...

Rick, when you have the time, watch the worship segment of Kidmo, the part with the animated band, they looks like a bunch of
"Beatnicks" to me. It realy helps me get my mind and soul cleaned up for working with the children and also prepares me for the " grown - up " part of my Sunday.