Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday Flashback




The first Sunday of the new year! Like last year at this time we added some tables and chairs to the set up for worship. Unlike last year we may not have room to continue with doing that! And while we enjoy doing the tables for those who like them, it may not be the best way to get everyone in comfortably. We'll try it for a couple of weeks and see. Great problem to have, though! Thanks Mike for getting it all together.

Today and next Sunday I'm teaching a "mini-series" on looking ahead to this year. First, I spent this morning asking if we're ready should Christ return in 2009. Next Sunday we'll talk about how our church should be ready for what God brings our way this year. While we can't predict, we can prepare.

You could see a renewed enthusiasm among our youth today during worship. Winterfest obviously had a great impact on them. The adults who went with them, on the other hand, were either home sick or at church in slow motion!

I saw a number of guests in the crowds this morning. Some are folks I know. Some were new in the community checking out churches. But it's always encouraging to look out there and not be able to recognize so many. I saw one of our newer attenders the other morning in a restaurant who excitedly said, "Our whole neighborhood is coming to NHC".

A video promo we did in-house was shown for our Focus on Christian Womanhood class soon to begin. Those doing the registrations for the class tell me that it's going to be a huge class! I also heard that two more signed up today for Divorce Care, a new group beginning next Sunday night.

Appropriately, several of today's song choices reflected on the Kingdom coming. "Revelation Song"* continues to be a favorite at NHC.

F1rst Wednesday is this week. Don't forget!

(* Here's a great rendition I found on Youtube. I don't know what church this is, but their choir gets it!)

2 comments:

Terry Gray Sr. said...

Wow Rick, that was great. Thanks for posting.

Bonnie said...

Hey! I resent that. I went to winterfest and was neither sick or sluggish...I did wish for a nap this afternoon, though. I heard the kids telling of the 13 hours of sleep that they got on Friday night. Maybe if the oldies had been able to sleep that much, they'd have been a bit quicker in their step!