Friday, October 26, 2012

Riding Out the Storms

 
I’m writing this on Friday, so I really have no idea how badly Hurricane Sandy might treat us here on the Outer Banks and East Coast.  Hopefully it will be minor, although the talking meteorology heads have dubbed it "Frankenstorm" or something. 

Storms can surprise us, can’t they?  It’s rare for a hurricane to threaten us this late in the season, although we have had some major fall storms here.  Who here can forget Halloween Storm when the barge hit the Oregon Inlet Bridge, or the Thanksgiving storm a year or two ago?

Life is like the weather.  We love the sunny, clear days.  And we dread the times when the dark, stormy clouds gather and we know a rough time is ahead.  But God must have good reason for allowing us to go through the storms. 

Jesus said they would happen.  He told us to be sure we build our lives on the solid rock so we could withstand them.  And in as vivid an illustration as I can imagine He woke from a nap as His disciples worried that a storm would sink their boat and simply told the storm to cease.

Right now in my life I feel like I’m in that boat.  And I know that in His time the storm will give way to perfect peace again.  It’s just that the rocky ride can be overwhelming, especially if we focus on the waves and the wind. 

So I encourage you to learn with me how to focus on the solid Rock and the peace that passes all understanding.  Learn to praise Him in the storm.

And I'll praise You in this storm   
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are   
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried   
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side  
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm. 
(Casting Crowns)

No comments: