Monday, July 21, 2008

Much Ado About Nothing


On Saturday the TV news crews were here, asking vacationers on the beach and local officials about the tropical storm headed our way. We had been placed on warning that the storm would hit us within 24 hours. High winds and torrential rains were on their way...

Cristobal never showed up. I mean, other than a few brief showers and srinkles and some occasional big clouds, we've had blue skies and a great breeze for the past couple of days.

But he was the talk of the town for 72 hours. And we were ready! For nothing!!

Don't get me wrong. Living on a spit of sand protruding into the Atlantic makes us keenly aware of the potential damage storms can bring. But having lived here for 22 years has also shown me that too much hype is generated over natural phenomena over which we have no control and really can't predict. The biggest fear-mongers between the months of June and November are the TV media. Their hype is so laughable. I guess fear and worry make for good news?

The Bible teaches us to be prepared in life (Proverbs 6:6-11 for example) for whatever comes our way. It's that preparation that squelches the temptation to worry and wring our hands. If a category 3 or higher hurricane were descending upon us, I'm prepared to evacuate. It could happen, but I'm not going to fret about it. Such things are beyond my control.

Too much energy and time was wasted talking about something that never happened. Prepare. Don't panic. And don't base your response on hype.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Amen. There is a Dam around 40 miles from my home that is threatening to go. If it does, it will take out the city that we live by and end up ultimately causing problems for Nashville, TN. A lot of folks here are just beside theirselves. We know that the Bible says to be prepared, so that is what we are doing. Am I scared? no I am ready to go if it is my time. I just want to reach others and share the same confidence and peace that I have.

~j~ said...

Absolute truth!

my goodness, for all that I hope you got surf! :)

j

Terry Gray Sr. said...

You are on target with this post Rick. I have seen many a storm pass these fragile islands. I remember Donna the most, that one sticks out in my mind more than any, it seemed as if it was the worst one. Maybe it was because I was so young at the time. None the less it was a powerful storm. Then the Ash Wednesday storm, that was a bad one also.

I remember all the folks preparing for the storm, helping their neighbors, the older folks, and making sure eveything was secure. Then, at least in my Mom's house, and grandmother's house, it was turned over to the Lord to keep us safe. I recall prayers out loud and everyone gathered around the kerosene lamp. I usually had "outside" watch. Looking for anything that was potentially harmful to the house or folks inside.

The following morning, the Sun came up and everything seemed fresh and new as the storm had passed and that was the end of it. It appeared that most of the storms hit at night.

I agree with you that now, this 1 or 2 day event, has become a week or two of long hype jacking cause for mobile TV stations and news reporters to totaly envelope everything and every body into a frenzy.

I just hope and pray that folks don't lose sight of the fact that things have changed, and now the chance of avoiding danger can be easily had by evacuation. I think that if you let the news reports wrap you up and get you involved in the hype, it would be easy to miss the window of being able to get out.

As your post states...."Much Ado About Nothing"

danabrown said...

It is laughable... we even laugh at ourselves!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Dana,
I was hoping you'd check in on this one!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Terry,
I also recall Donna (1960) and being huddled in the darkness of the house while Dad was out repairing downed power lines. It seems to me that was the one that took off our roof.

We were 200 miles south of Dare County at Camp Lejeune. I was 5.

And you're right. Back then the technology didn't allow us the advanced warnings we now have.