Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Encourage Someone Today

"Good job, Grandpa!"

I heard those words several times this morning from granddaughter #2. She's just 2 years old, but has already learned to be an encourager.

Her toy dinosaurs needed "a mommy' she said. "They are crying". Gail told me there was a bigger one at the top of the steps in the attic. So as I started climbing up the pull-down ladder she said, "Be careful, Grandpa."

"What are you doing, Grandpa?". Gail had brought in the last of the Christmas decorations from our deck and a few tiny leaves dropped on to the floor. So I was picking them up. "Picking up these leaves", I said.

"Good job, Grandpa!"

In the kitchen I was chopping up some onion to go with the ham, eggs and cheese I was preparing for breakfast. "What are you doing, Grandpa?" "I'm chopping onions."

"Good job, Grandpa!"

She loves oranges, so I was peeling one for her after her two bowls of "Snap, Crackle, Pop". "What are you doing?" "I'm peeling an orange for you".

"Can I help you, Grandpa?"

Encouragers are worth their weight in gold. They seem to come along (sent by God I believe) at just the right time. And when they speak those words cheering you on or offering to help or just showing that they care, they can be the missing piece in your track that allows you to move forward rather than retreat or give up.

Encouragers provide the anti-venom for the critics, gossips, whiners and complainers that seem to be so vocal and active.

God knew we all can use someone to come along side us and say just the right things that give us courage and dissolve our fears. So in the church He has even gifted some with a special ability to do just that.

To the Roman church, located in the heart of a pagan Empire ruled by a mad man named Nero, Paul wrote, "When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours." And, "If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging."

Chances are you'll be around someone today who could use an encouraging word. And if you don't know what to say, sometimes all it takes is a smile or a nod.

Personally I like, "Good job, Grandpa!"

If a two year old can do it, can it be that difficult?

No comments: