Friday, January 23, 2009

What? No Bible in the Map Room?

At our president's re-do of his oath of office/swearing in, the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS remembered to bring his robe. A photographer was present and an audio recording was made. But no one thought to bring a Bible, and there wasn't one in the Map Room.

Now, I can understand that schedules are tight, and to send VP Biden searching for a Bible wouldn't have been the prudent thing to do. In addition, I'm told that while the wording of the oath is specific and in the Constitution, there is no requirement to place your hand on the Bible while being sworn in to the office.

We're led to believe by the spin meisters that had there been a Bible in the Map Room it would have been used.

Watch now as hundreds, maybe thousands of donated Bibles come flooding into the White House post office labeled "For the Map Room". I wonder if they'll be given a tax credit for those donations?

Don't leave home without it.

But let's not make a big deal out of it. The Bible has been left out of our government for the past 45 years or so. And didn't Jesus say something about not swearing?

I guess up in DC they're not familiar with that great bluegrass tune, "I'm Using My Bible as a Road Map".

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I noticed that too. Did you ever watch The West Wing? It's one of my favorite shows, and recently (in reruns) they were at the point where President Bartlett is trying to decide which of a group of "famous" Bible's he's going to use. And they run into road blocks on pretty much all of them. His "right hand guy" Charlie, is searching left and right and finally gets a Bible from i want to say it was a congressional room of some sort, and the inscription inside the Bible is something like "Pete's Sleep Over Motel"

I'm not sure why I just typed all that... but it reminded me of that situation.

The whole "second swearing in" thing all seems a little odd to me. I know I miffed my wedding vows a little bit but didn't feel the need to have a second ceremony the next day...

Just not sure what to think of our new President, we shall see.

Good to know Someone is in CHARGE!!!

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

I have to admit that when I was on jury duty some years ago I chose to affirm rather than swear, because of what Jesus said. This led to some opportunities for me to share my faith, which was good.

Rick Lawrenson said...

I've done the same thing, Annabel when I was called on to testify in court.

Of course, as southerners here in the US, we could say, "I swannee".

Agnes said...

jsyk I believe there were about 2-3 other president who did not use a Bible at all but chose rather to use law books. I think too that Hoover, being a Quaker, did not swear. Of course since very few of our presidents since, and including Lincoln, have violated that to which they swore, it really is a bit of a mute point.

Karen said...

ha, great post!