Saturday, August 9, 2008

Big Day Passed, Bigger Weekend Ahead

Today, along with other leaders from our church I attended the second day of Willow Creek's Leadership Summit at the Spring Branch Church satellite venue in VA Beach. It's my first time to attend this annual event, and it was so very good. Stuff like this really challenges me. I'll post more about it later after I get some rest!

While at the Summit I got a phone call from our realtor telling us an investment property that we had on the market for 8 months got a signed contract today. Whew! Glad that's behind us.

This evening when I arrived home Nathan was getting his head shaved due to a challenge to his blog readers. Last Friday he said that if they contributed $3K to Leukemia/Lymphoma research he would shave his head live on the internet. You can see it all on his blog. Lots of fun for a great cause.

Following the shaving I got to blow out a candle on my birthday cake. We then played some "Olympic Games". Year 54 has officially begun. How cool is is to have your birthday on 08-08-08?

Tomorrow morning our church's first Operation Backpack happens from 9 to noon. We've collected a ton of school supplies which we're giving out to those in need in our community. I love watching our church grasp mission and outreach in practical ways.

Tomorrow evening is the Pancake Dinner Fund Raiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I still have some tickets to sell, and will be serving up pancakes, sausage and eggs. Patrick Pritchard and Grits Grill rock.

Then Sunday morning I start a new series getting us ready for 40 Days of Prayer, which begins September 1. We're headed for an enormous fall!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Happy Birthday!

Juli said...

Rick, I am new to your blog. From the state of California.

I had my birthday last year on 07-07-07. :)

Coffespaz said...

I'm glad you got to go to the summit! When my hubby and I were still in Va. Beach, Spring Branch was our church. We had the pleasure of volunteering at the conference one year, and were able to sit in on a couple of sessions. What a wonderful time!

PS Love Nate's new "hairdo"!

Coffespaz said...

Sorry...had to shut my first comment down before I could wish you a (belated) Happy Birthday!!!