Thursday, July 31, 2008

"...should you choose to accept it"


I grew up watching the Mission Impossible TV series back in the day. It always began with the introduction of the next mission on a reel to reel tape (high tech in the late 60's - early 70's) and the words, "This is your mission, should you choose to accept it". Then the tape burned itself up.

Our mission as Christ-followers is not impossible. Taking His love to those who need it can be done by all of us. But we have to make the choice to take it on.

One of those who has chosen to accept the mission is Marie. It thought I took her picture to post here (much to her chagrin) but it's not on the camera. And she'll be relieved because she doesn't want attention focused on her. Sorry, Marie, but I'm going to talk about you for a minute.

Marie volunteers at our church by serving in our youth ministry. She leads a group of teenage girls every Sunday night. You can find her on Sunday mornings helping check children into our Kids Church. She's consistent.

And this week Marie took vacation time from her job to lead teenagers on missions projects in our community during Operation Impact (see my previous post). She's one of my heroes. She gets it. She's made the choice and it has cost her something. I guess there are about 20 adults who, like Marie, have given up their time this week to influence youth and reach out into the community.

Because of volunteers like Marie, the mission is a step closer to being accomplished.

Pictured above are the youth right after grouping for prayer and getting ready to "go into the world" this morning.

6 comments:

CFHusband said...

Go, Marie!

Nancy H. said...

Marie is such an excellent example and we all love her so much. Way to go, Marie!

Nancy H. said...

By the way, the adult that you have in the picture, who is waving her hand, is Lisa Robey, a great friend of mine. Lisa goes to KHUMC, and she is alot like Marie. She always "chooses to accept." You will find her volunteering all over the community and her church for Youth and Children's activities. She is another good example of being a committed Christian.

Thodgson said...

Go Marie!!!!
You know I work with her and she is the reason why I am a partner with NHC today :0)

marie said...

Aw shucks...
Ha Ha Rick knows me too well. Well, now that you have dragged me kicking and screaming out into the foreground I will make a few comments:

ImpactOBX was fantastic! I am honored that I was able to be a part of an amazing opportunity to work with kids and adults from other churches on the Outer Banks.
Hopefully, this will be a springboard for the OBX Christian community to create new opportunities to reach others for Christ.
The youth were MY heroes, giving up part of their much deserved summer vacation (which seems to me to be a bit shorter than mine was as a kid)to accept any job or task that was placed before them with an attitude of service and joy. I believe that these young and energenic Christ-followers made quite an "impact" with all the community based on the appreciative comments I heard at our worksite each day.
Now, back to my nap...zzzzzzzz

Andy Lawrenson said...

Sleep on Marie! You deserve it!!
At NHC we are blessed to have the best youth leaders on the face of the planet!