Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One size fits all?


Today I visited another culture. I didn't travel across a national border - just crossed a bridge. My venture into that culture was to attend a funeral service.

Maybe I should use "sub-culture". Nonetheless, the traditions that shaped the service were similar in some ways, yet very different in others from my own sub-culture.

In our county are at least 4 sub-cultures - probably more. Two are defined by geography. Two are more defined by race. We cross paths and inter-relate and integrate in much of life. And in some churches (the most segregated place in the country) we mix. But accomplishing that is a stretch for many because our cultural heritage strongly determines our preferences.

Would the service I attended today be attractive to the culture in which I live? Likely not. I looked around at other people around me who looked like me and could tell they were witnessing new ways of mourning and worship. There were times some from my culture would have found it disrespectful and irreverant. It was loud; it was emotional; it was joyful; it was often exuberant; it was a bit longer in time than a typical funeral in my culture. (Ed and Edith would have been very uncomfortable.) Yet it connected with its own culture in very obvious and powerful ways.

On more than one occasion I've been privileged to travel to other countries and experience worship in their cultures. Caribbean black churches. Central American hispanic churches. Canadian Native American churches. South African white and black churches. None were quite like my culture/my church. Different traditions; different songs; different feel. But they connected with their cultures.

Isn't that how it's supposed to be? Different yet accomplishing the same goals.

The church I lead and serve exists to reach the culture in which God has placed us. We have focused our mission on our culture. While everyone is welcome, not everyone would relate and connect to what we do. If I tried to take our style, music and methods of worship and preaching into the church I visited today it would be politely endured, but wouldn't connect.

And that's OK. Paul understood this very well, and when changing cultures he readily adapted his style of evangelism to match the culture.

When it comes to churches one size doesn't fit all. Let's not convince ourselves that it does. Does this mean that the church should be segregated? I hope not. If so our church is failing. That tells me that as important as culture is to defining a church, it's not the only thing.

Does the culture of your church look like the culture of your community? Does it fit? If not, is it time to find the right size and for the church to go shopping for a new pair?



7 comments:

Tammy said...

I know you guys are praying folks and I am asking you to pray for my little CF buddy. Here is his story: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/anthonyv
He is- at this moment--undergoing a double lung transplant due to CF. He is 12 yrs old. I was one of his teachers and have known him since he was 5 yrs old.
Tammy

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/anthonyv

Rick Lawrenson said...

Thanks for asking, Tammy.
I'm up at 2:30AM and now I know the reason.

Bill and Peggy said...

Rick,

I really like this post. I am living in a "different culture" right now in Iraq. You had some really good insights. I can't help but think about the different "cultures" that exist between where I live in Colorado and our old meeting ground of TBT. You know, sometime I look back on them and think how they should change but maybe that is just the "culture". They're not bad people, just different from where I am today. In fact, I wouldn't be the man I am today without them. The same can be said about the "stuffed shirt" churches that exist in downtown Tulsa. I know for me its easy to judge their worship style or behavior and think its just not right. But, like I have said to my family after attending a "mega" church in Co Sprs, I don't want to say anything too bad about the place, we may get to heaven and find out its just like "that" church. I think different churches work for different people. My wish, my hope, my desire is that we could come together more often as a "body" of believers, I think it does happen sometimes. Anyway, hang in there bro, sounds like you have another TESTimony coming, I appreciate you. Bill

CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

I think I understand what you mean. We call they home going celebrations, some would not understand that but I know when I die I do not want it to be a time of solemn (sp) mourning. I have been to funerals different from my "culture" if you can call it that, and though its not they way our "celebrations" are I respect the way they honor their lost family members death. I don't know that I agree that we can't worship together maybe because of cultural differences. As a matter of fact I am finding the oposite to be true. If you are ever in the VA Beach area check out New Life Providence. All though I am not a member I see what they are doing and am amazed by the difference in a trans-ethnic church. Its been very humbling for me and my family. I would also check out the book "Building a Healthy Multi-Ethnic Churc" by Mark DeYmaz. I would love to hear your opinion.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Absolutely we can worship in other cultures. In fact, we'll be doing that in heaven.

What it takes here on earth for that to happen is for us to rise above the ingrained beliefs that the way "we" do worship is the best way, whoever "we" is.

For me the other day worship was more of a struggle, not because of anything wrong that was taking place, but because it was different for me, and I was trying to "process" it all. Still I was able to rejoice and celebrate and worship. Just not as freely, perhaps, as I would have been in my own church's culture.

There's a great scene from the movie "Forrest Gump" with Forrest singing in the choir of Bubba's church. He didn't quite "fit in", but nonetheless, he immersed himself into a new culture and worshipped. If Forrest can do it, anyone can.

At the same time it's an unescapable fact of our humanity that we're more comfy in our own familiar cultures. And I dont' think that's an evil thing.

What's evil is when one culture judges another because of their differences that have nothing to do with "right" or "wrong".

David Wilson said...

Hey Rick, If we can eat at Taco Bell, order a Pizza for supper, and wake up the next morning and eat a Danish I expect we ought to be able to navigate differences in church culture as well. I wouldn't want any of those as a steady diet, but it's nice once in a while to drop in.

Good post.

David
from the Emerald green water and white sand coast

Rick Lawrenson said...

Good to hear from you David!