Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guest Blogger: Roger Blackmore

Being a pastor I'm attracted to other pastors' blogs - especially those who challenge me and force me to think out of the box. Roger's one of those pastors.

He's a few years older than me, which gives him the right to tell me things I ought to know. His family speaks to his integrity as a man of God. The church he pastors he also planted and isn't confined to any certain mold. Although our churches have much in common, there are differences as well. After all, we're located in different cultures.

We've eaten meals together on both coasts (I owe him lunch), sharing ideas and building our friendship over the past 6 or so years.

This post titled "Whatever" hit home with me as a pastor.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine this morning in my favorite local Diner. He was asking me how I deal with the frustrations triggered by people who never seem to get it - they’re not comitted to Sunday worship on a really regular basis, never get into small groups, don’t serve and don’t tithe.

The bottom line is it’s important that leaders remember we are there to serve the church (the people) and the people are not there to serve the leaders and their programs.

So a few weeks shy of 38 years down the pastoring road, how have I avoided an ulcer, a nervous breakdown, a heart attack or total disillusionment that has driven me from ministry altogether?

1. I have come to appreciate that some people never will get it.

2. I recognize that while they may be wonderful people and are without question children of God, they are not going to play a significant role in achieving God’s purposes. So I don’t focus on them.

3. I don’t preach sermons that beat up a few people whose lack of commitment is ticking me off. They won’t hear it anyway and instead good people will begin to question whether they themselves are really up to the mark.

4. I lay everything out before people - provide small groups, encourage small group participation, talk about serving, organize opportunities for them to get plugged in, preach about money, emphasize that tithing is a foundation issue, etc. In doing so I am serving them - whether they take it up is their responsibility.

5. If we hold a prayer night and a handful of people show up, so be it. If we come into a small groups semester and don’t fill every one we made available, well at least we offered them.

I’m dead serious about what I’m doing and so I won’t let my energy be sapped by those who don’t want to move on. I’d rather get exhausted keeping up with those that are racing forward to reach more of the unreached.

2 comments:

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

One of the things that we find helps is to invite people to events individually - I don't mean sending out invitations, but just "Are we to have the pleasure of your company at the Bible Study on Tuesday?" or "Have you thought yet what you're bringing to the Church Lunch next week?" sort of comment as they leave the church.... makes a surprising difference!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Really good stuffs!