Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A blast from the past

The phone rang and the voice said, "Is this Rick Lawrenson? I hope I've got the right guy."
"Yes. Who's this?"
"A blast from the past!"

It was Kieth, my roommate from my freshman year of college 34 years ago! We hadn't connected in probably 31 years.

We talked for most of an hour I guess, catching up on old times and finding out about old friends.

There's a reunion planned for a lot of us who studied youth ministry together back in the day and had a lot of fun in the mean time.

It was great hearing from him. He's still walking the walk.

But I think his memory is fading. He asked me if I'm still "crazy".

4 comments:

Robin Schmitt said...

Todd and I have been e-mailing with Sheila Colclasure about the Youth Aflame Reunion and we're really excited about seeing old friends in Lynchburg next September. It's been fun looking through the list of names and thinking about people that we haven't seen or heard from since the mid-late 1970s. It should be a lot of fun!

It doesn't look like we're going to make it down to Nags Head this year. Maybe we'll see you and Gail in 2009 in Nags Head or Lynchburg (or both?).

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hopefully both, Robin.

Robin Schmitt said...

I hope so. Last year we went to Ocean Isle for the first time since 1995. It's where Todd and I became interested in each other on a TRBC College & Career beach trip (1981), got engaged (1982), went for our honeymoon (1983), for our second anniversary (1985), and then with our 3 kids (1995). It was great to be there again.

I was really hoping we could go back to Nags Head this year, but we're trying to build up our savings and save Todd's vacation time in preparation for him to start a business with our sons. Hopefully next year we can go to Nags Head again. I'd love to see the new church building and get to meet Nate and his girls.

How's Gail's hand doing these days? You may have said, but I hadn't checked your blog much the last couple of months. I hope it's healing well.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Thanks for asking.
Her hand is healing up nicely.
Last Sunday she was able to return to the keyboard for the first time. She's still continuing with physical therapy.