Friday, June 6, 2008

Annual checkup

One of the benefits of being a firefighter* is the requirement to have a complete physical done annually. It was that first physical 5 years ago that alerted me to a significant problem I had developed and put me on a diet and exercise routine that turned things around.

Today was my day to face the music again. Two weeks ago I had the batter of blood work and x-rays our doc calls for that speak volumes about lifestyle. I confess, I've been somewhat lax on the diet and since January haven't been doing any exercising. (Other things have taken priority.) But I haven't strayed too far on the diet.

And the result was good news. I'm both excited and relieved.

The Bible tells us that our bodies are God's temple. And while Bible bangers like me don't typically indulge in the "really bad stuff", we are frequently guilty of overworking that stomach muscle, which leads to all other kinds of physical malaise, and ultimate destruction of God's temple.

And the older I get, the more appreciation I have for physical fitness. Who likes aches and pains?

I think I'll celebrate with a big salad for lunch.

(*I use that term loosely. My main function with the department is as their chaplain.)

No comments: