Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Biscuits and gravy and a fill up

I've developed an annual Spring ritual. Today it was my joy to observe it.

Each Spring I go and have blood work and a chest xray done as part of my annual physical. I try pretty hard to eat the right stuff all year (although this year I've done some back sliding), avoiding lots of carbs and sugars. So, after giving up half of my blood volume and being zapped with radiation I head directly to the NH Pier for a full plate of biscuits and gravy. I might even take it farther at lunch and have a burger and fries. Today only.

There's nothing like biscuits and gravy to make a southern boy smile. But the smile quickly vanished as my next stop was to fill up my empty gas tank.

You take the highs with the lows in life. The key is achieving balance. Too many plates of biscuits and gravy and I can't bend over to tie my shoes. Too many fill ups like this and I won't be able to buy any shoes.

2 comments:

DogsDontPurr said...

Oy...I hear ya! Today I paid $4.29/gallon to fill up (in Los Angeles). I guess I'm going to have to get into long distance walking! (Hey....that might help burn off things like biscuits and gravy!)

Michelle Jamie said...

I have an American friend who once made me biscuits and gravy...it was nice but I'm not sure I’d like it as a meal ;)

I had to chuckle at the closing comment!